Help! Orthophytum saxicola problems

lrn2groNovember 20, 2012

Okay so I had posted about this plant before but still am running into issues. Before the leaves were curling down and were turning brown. so I was watering more often. Now it looks like I am watering too much?? I cannot find a happy medium with this plant! Any suggestions? I cannot seems to find anything on Orthophytum saxicola on the web.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Greenthumb.5(6a-7b)

I am no bromliad expert but try the succulent forum because it looks like a succulent of some kind, but check here once a while to see anyone drop by.

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 1:39PM
deviant-deziner(Oh zone)

as the species names implies ( saxicola = saxicolous = growing on rocks ) it likes growing on a fast draining stony outcropping but I have found that a little bit of soil helps with nutrient value.

I garden in zone 9 (northern california) and bring about 1/2 of my bromeliads into an unheated greenhouse or under the covering of the front porch and hold the watering until late winter / early spring ... with a few exceptions.

These Orthophytums tend to have the same growing needs as Dyckias. I do not water them at all during the winter.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 10:53PM
tropicbreezent

I mentioned the same thing in the previous post. Likely it's from a more humid climate, rain has a lot of oxygen whereas tap water usually has next to none. The tap water in soil would maintain a virtually oxygen-free environment around the roots, a recipe for rot. In its natural environment it would have regular rain water which would drain fast.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 3:21AM
lrn2gro

so should I stop watering for the winter? should i cover it with something to keep humidity up? The only problem I have with that is that I tend to attract gnats with humid moist environments.
tropicbreezent: are you suggesting I try to water with only rain water? If so this will be a little difficult for me

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 6:16PM
More Discussions
Please help with ID
Can someone please ID this Brom for me.
gardencraze
ID please
PAnother blooming that needs ID Thanx Carmen
gardencraze
HAVE: Neoregelias and cryptanthus for trade
Have Neoregelia Giant Fireball and Donger, also several...
ken_ny
NOID brom with blue inflo
any idea what this might be? the color is just unbelievable!...
petrushka
id help- tillandsia exserta hybrid?
I traded a friend of mine for this.Its original tag...
Brian311
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™