Ceramic pots & drainage question

MamaFloMarch 18, 2014

Hi all,
I've been seeing all these really cute pics of various succulents growing in tea cups and all kinds of ceramic bowls, urns etc. These do not appear to have any kind of drainage holes.
How do they keep the plants alive with no drainage??
do they have a layer of rocks or something to allow for no holes?

Love the look but don't want to drown anything!
Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spapa

It is possible to keep succulents alive in containers with no drainage, just much more difficult. They could be fine for 2 years and then one time you over water and they end up dead (coming from experience). One other thing I've learned is that the material the container is made of can sometimes compensate for no holes. I have been successful using unglazed terracotta pots with no holes because the pots allow water out and air in.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 10:15PM
lcadena

I agree. One thing you can do is to use a diamond tipped drill bit and drill holes while using water at the same time. There are some good videos on You Tube showing how to do it. Plants always do better with some type of drainage. Sometimes it's just boring to use the same clay pots over and over again. There are lots of creative ideas out there. At least, that's my opinion.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 10:53PM
cactusmcharris

That they appear to have no holes

or

They have no holes?

I would be very leery of growing plants with no drainage. As is mentioned, terra cotta does dry out faster, but that's no substitute for a drainage hole, particularly since TC is so easy to drill, with just about any drill bit (glass.tile, masonry, even high-speed steel if you have to). The plants will live, but they don't do well in the long-term, so eschew holeless plants is my advice.

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 12:28AM
MamaFlo

That's what I thought! Thanks for the tips--i may have to try and drill a few holes in some thrift store cups to see if I can do it with out breaking the cups.

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 6:06AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

If you try that, perhaps place some masking tape where you're going to drill first, I hear it helps prevent the cup from breaking or chipping at the drilling point. I don't do any drilling myself, but have seen this tip in numerous places. Good luck!

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 6:09PM
More Discussions
Jade prune going back farther than expected? Normal???
Hey, This Jade has been through a lot and I've posted...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
Echeveria ID, please.
I need help identifying this echeveria. Thanks! :)
_sbgibbons_
My very first 'Terrarium' and need advice on watering.
So this is my first time doing Terrarium, and i want...
kizasugondo
New Succulent Container Garden, and need advice.
So i just made this succulent container garden, 90-95%...
kizasugondo
New too indoor succulents, need advice
Hey everybody, So i've recently started trying to grow...
gerettj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™