What to do with Coleus over winter?

pfckceJanuary 24, 2012

Hello, I have a few different kinds of Coleus that grew pretty large and looked amazing last summer and fall. Right now they don't look so great and a couple of them have some large whitish spots that look like mold or fungus. I know how to propagate them, but my question is, should I get rid of the main plants or just prune them really short/small? Can they grow back this spring?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
onederw

Coleus are annuals. Even if they winter over, they won't be at their best for a second year. I would suggest taking cuttings of your favorites, and planting them back out when the weather warms.

Kay

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 1:37AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

If you decide to take cuttings for next year, use the newest part of the plant, and discard the rest. Because it is a struggle to end up with a good plant, most of us will start new seeds, which are cheap and easy, and fast to grow. Al

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 8:56AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

if you have a greenhouse you can take cuttings and overwinter them. Even in 24 they don't like the cooler nights. They want to be warm over night 60F +

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 3:01PM
iris_9(z9CA)

I took cuttings of my coleus, 'Henna,' the first part of Dec. just before our first frost and kept them in my laundry room. They rooted and are now potted up just waiting for some warm weather so they can go live outside. I just composted the main plant last week. It was outside in a protected area but it wasn't going to come back. And I needed the pot.

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 8:30PM
More Discussions
Looking for Soil Testing Company Recommendations
I'd like to have my soil tested and would like some...
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
Need help with privacy issues - Sunset zone 18
I have an odd side yard that is on a busy street. ...
mariandailey
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
please help me decide on a fast growing screen
For many years the back of my neighbor's lot which...
kentc
Pride of Madeira PRUNING and question
Hi, Hope you can help. The net and Sunset's Garden...
piper101
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™