Spicebush Swallowtail eclosure

bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)June 25, 2013

BOTH of my Spicebush Swallowtails eclosed while I was out of town for 2 days. (sigh) I had so wanted to see them. My son released them for me, and this was the best shot that he got.
Angie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

What a beautiful male spicebush swallowtail, Angie! I'm sorry you didn't get to release them.

Sherry

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 12:42AM
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Thanks Sherry. I was sorry too. I had to take my older son down to UWG for freshman orientation for a couple of days, so it was an unavoidable and necessary trip. They were so pretty. Wish I had been able to get the photos and see them though. :o)

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 11:07AM
mary_littlerockar(8a-7b mid Arkansas)

Angie,

I'm sorry, too, that you weren't able to see them before they ventured forth but you did a fantastic job getting them to this stage.

Your son also did a great job capturing such a nice photo of your grown up baby!

Thanks, Sherry, for pointing out the gender. Now I'll have an idea of what to look for when mine eclose. I hope they are as healthy as Angie's butterfly!

Mary

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 11:59AM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

You're welcome, Mary, you know I love to talk butterflies! The coloring on the lower wings of male spicebush swallowtails can vary from bright ice blue, like Angie's, to gray to blue green to gray green. Females' lower wings are consistently true blue, like the blue on a female tiger swallowtail - if you get one that's blue, you sometimes need to study it a bit.

Sherry

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
pls.help me ID these guys:-)
Hello! I am currently here in. Tampa, Florida, took...
hawaiiponder34
Butterflies in my house - what should I do?
I found a cabbage white fluttering between the inner...
joannpalmyra
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
Coral Honeysuckle
I remember reading that Coral Honeysuckle is a good...
jane__ny
Florida Butterflies.
I have posted before. I live in Sarasota, Florida and...
jane__ny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™