Getting rid of insects on Spanish moss.

tropicalzone7(7b)November 2, 2009

Hi!

I just bought spanish moss off the internet ans should be recieving it soon. I know these plants are known for being a haven for a lot of insects, and I would like to know the best way fo getting rid of them without getting bitten, or killing the plants (if thats even possible).

The spanish moss will be spending its time indoors for the winter and will probably go out sometime late spring (to avoid being destroyed by the birds during nesting season). I have alot of other airplants that spend their winters indoors as well, and so far they are doing pretty well (since they are in a relatively humid area).

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bromadams(10b)

If you do have insects then maybe you should get a small insect eating lizard to do the work for you. I've never had a problem with insects and spanish moss, but then I have very little spanish moss and lots of lizards.

Bookmark   November 2, 2009 at 9:55PM
sunshine_qld

The lizard sounds good.
I have heaps around the place and have never seen any insects.

Bookmark   November 3, 2009 at 5:03AM
tropicalzone7(7b)

I dont have any lizards around by me this time of the year, but I guess if the insects become a problem I could always get one at the pet shop. Hopefully the spanish moss wont come with any bugs, but I will swish it around some warm water for a few minutes, and then let it air dry just in case.

Thanks for all your input!

Bookmark   November 3, 2009 at 4:45PM
gonzer_gw

Nobody has any business selling ANY plant on-line that hasn't been thoroughly cleared of any insect infestation. Very bad business policy! This is exactly the reason why the import/export policies of the U.S. (esp. CA,FL, and HI) are painfully cruel.
This is the new poster put out by the USDA for California.

Bookmark   November 3, 2009 at 6:43PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

WOW, California's not joking when it comes to plant polices! So far Ive never bought anything off the internet that has come infested with bugs, and thats the main reason why I dont buy plants from other countries (by the time a plant passes through customs maybe 3 weeks later, it will be half dead, if it passes customs at all).

When I get my spanish moss later this week, Ill update you on its condition! Wish me luck :)

Bookmark   November 3, 2009 at 10:24PM
bambi_too(5 Ohio)

I would rinse it vigorously in a 5 gallon bucket of water, and Gonzer is right there should be no bugs if it's shipped. I did have someone bring me back some Spanish Moss from Florida once, and it was full of bugs. A couple of good rinses like I described above took care of them.

Bookmark   November 4, 2009 at 9:03AM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Good news, I got my spanish moss and it is free of bugs (that I can see). Ill still rinse it in some water just in case, but I dont think I will have any problems :)

Thanks again for everyones help!

Bookmark   November 5, 2009 at 7:17PM
More Discussions
id help- tillandsia exserta hybrid?
I traded a friend of mine for this.Its original tag...
Brian311
ID please
PAnother blooming that needs ID Thanx Carmen
gardencraze
Viresa question
Ok, so I have probalby already managed to kill a small...
cygnwulf
how to keep bromelaid til i get home
Hello, a friend gave me bromelaid out of her garden...
drich30099
Problems with scale
Members, Indiana grower here. I have a major problem...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™