survival for uprooted plants,several days

dancerdeb(23)January 28, 2010

i have to dig up plants that have been established for 3 years so a drain can be dug alongside the house - fried egg plant, (Mat poppy), myrtle, sweet olive, maybe natal plum. I'm worried about them - should i just plunk them into the big pots I have with a little garden soil, then put them back when it's finished? Will take 2 - 4 days. Can they survive some root loss? should I give them anything when they go back into the ground?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenguru1950(SunsetZ16)

Have the pots ready to go. Dig up the plants with as much rootball as you can manage. Plunk them into the big pots, fill the pots solidly with native soil and water them WELL. Move the potted plants to a shady site. Water them again in a couple of days.

Watch for signs of wilting. If they begin to wilt, prune off whole branches (don't just arbitrarily snip off the tops) and water.

When the ground is ready again, slip them back into their places. No need for anything special except water.

Don't "amend", don't fertilize. And B1 doesn't work.

Mulch well.
Joe

Bookmark   January 28, 2010 at 10:42PM
lilydude

Protect the foliage from wind. Spray foliage with a fine mist to prevent wilting.

Bookmark   January 29, 2010 at 12:48AM
calistoga_al

This time of year with almost 100% humidity(at least for the last two weeks)you should be safe. I usually use "heeling" in as my strategy for such a project. The main consideration is not allowing the roots to be exposed to the air, and the plant should not be in any possible sunshine through the whole process. I also would not recommend any soil additives. Al

Bookmark   January 29, 2010 at 9:16AM
dancerdeb(23)

Appreciate your help. Their prospects look good with more rain on the way!

Bookmark   January 30, 2010 at 1:23PM
dicot

I have to disagree about the ease of transplanting/disturbing Matilija poppies (Romneya coulteri). They tend to resent it and can easily die from it.

Bookmark   January 30, 2010 at 6:48PM
calistoga_al

As Joe mentioned, "dig the biggest rootball you can manage" Romneya coulteri should never be bare rooted. To keep the soil with the roots be sure the soil has plenty of moisture, should be no problem now. Al

Bookmark   January 31, 2010 at 8:23AM
More Discussions
Mystery plants!
Can anyone identify these plants? The seeds I was...
barbiejpete
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™