care of dish garden

a-mazingMarch 21, 2011

I just purchased this dish garden and have no idea how to care for it. I love it and it looks great in my family room. Would just like it to stay that way. Thanks for your help

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k593/gracescaggs/IMG_20110321_221031.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
a-mazing

In case the link doesn't work.....

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 10:39PM
ctreeteac(Zone 8b; rain-spewing Oregon)

It'd probably be best for me to leave the actual IDs to the experts here, but I'd say, first off, no hot, direct sun, but instead bright indirect light. You especially won't want that delicate blue to get more sunburnt, which in my experience, can happen faster than you might think when you're first starting out. It's a very pretty dish.

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 2:15PM
norma_2006

All of those species I grow here in San Fernando Valley get full hot sun, very little water, I live above 35 miles inland from the Ocean. You are going to in time need to restart all of them, they are outgrowing the bowl. The one on the left side of the screen is th only one that needs the indirect light. It looks to me to be a gasteria/ hyworthia hybrid and may need the indirect light. The fuzzy Kalanchoe 'Chocolate Soldier' can use full sun, the other Echeviera need full sun as well, and I won't venture a guess as to names. Be very careful of watering, especailly this time of year. They may not do well in the house. Norma

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 11:59PM
ctreeteac(Zone 8b; rain-spewing Oregon)

Disregard me and listen to Norma. :)

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 12:24AM
kaktuskris(5)

As Norma alluded to, if they were mine, I would repot them in individual pots, in terra cotta, using a well draining potting mix.

Christopher

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 8:26PM
cactusmcharris

OTOH, if they were mine, I might get a larger dish, use the porous soil that others have noted, and slowly acclimate them to full sun. The blue glaucousness that Colleen notes is actually a protection against full sun, but as long as you slowly get them used to full sun, they'll be happiest there and grow the most. They'll grow faster, too, as long as you give them regular (but not too frequent) waterings.

Bookmark   March 24, 2011 at 10:51AM
a-mazing

Thanks for all your input. I was hoping I could keep them in the dish for a little while longer since they look so pretty. I have them in my family room where they get light from the window but I guess that's not going to be enough light. How often should I water them? Once a week?? I'm clueless.

Bookmark   March 24, 2011 at 10:59PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Never water on a schedule, and, as we say here, "When in doubt, don't!" ;-)

You'll want to water when the soil has dried out. To determine when that might be,
you can insert a wooden skewer (chopstick, et cetera) deep into the soil - then check the
skewer for moisture every few days.

Indoors, without supplemental lights, certainly won't be enough light.

Josh

Bookmark   March 25, 2011 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
What's your growing area look like
Includes patios greenhouses ect. Notice the lack of...
spikef35
Euphorbia milii green flowers?
I bought a Euphorbia milii or COT about a year and...
tasmith16
Cheiridopsis soil mix - Zeolite quartz sand and granigrit?
Should I use only one or the other both? Planned on...
Bama_Joe
Ants help!
Seems I have an ant problem hitched a ride on my big...
spikef35
Sempseed or the will to live
This is an old flowering head (is there a word for...
hablu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™