Comparing Hairstreaks

misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)June 15, 2011

Once again, while I was working in my garden late this afternoon, a hairstreak landed on a bush/vine/plant near me, and slowly turned around in circles while rubbing its hindlegs together. For whatever reason, I don't see many hairstreaks in the morning or middle of the day, just mainly in the evening.

At first, I thought this was a faded gray hairstreak, then on second look, I thought it was a faded striped hairstreak. Looking at it again, I now think it's a king's hairstreak - sweetleaf, the host plant for king's hairstreaks, is common in my woods.

Here's a gray hairstreak that nectared on milkweed in my garden -

And here's a gray hairstreak that I photographed in a savannah in Jackson County -

Here's a picture of a striped hairstreak that I recently took -

Today's mystery hairstreak landed on a hops tree/bush in the light of the sun, which was very low in the western sky. This one was frayed -

I think today's hairstreak is a king's hairstreak, because the orange cap over the blue area by the tails is rectangular-shaped, not V-shaped, like those of striped hairstreaks.

Have I identified these butterflies correctly?

Sherry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

Sherry,

These are the hardest to ID, almost as hard as skippers! Your photo matches the picture in Kaufman's guide. I think you nailed it!

BTW, love all the pictures.

sandy

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 7:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jrcagle(z7 MD)

I'd go with King's over against Banded because of the size of the orange cap on the hindwing.

Jeff

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 3:53PM
More Discussions
Urgent!
I am worried about my Cecropia cocoon because I went...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Lemon Mint Monarda - Annual, Perennial? Reseeds?
I feel like this question could be posted in 5 different...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
Zebra Longwing Butterfly.
This is a photo, of a beautiful, Zebra Longwing Butterfly,...
woollybear69
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™