best vine or shrub to cover chain link fence in central cali

mgc700January 1, 2011

I live in central California and was wondering if anyone knows of a low maintenance, nice looking vine or shrub to completely cover my 8ft chain link fence around a one acre yard? I live in the 95341 area.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

How wide and deep can it be? If you can sacrifice ten feet, you have lots of great choices of reasonably priced, maintenance-free drought tolerant and flowering shrubs. The farther into your yard the plant can jut the fewer plants you will need to buy.

If you want something that grows no more than three feet into your yard you will have to spend a lot of money and your choices will be quite limited, and the maintenance may be high.

The only evergreen vine I would recommend is trachelospermum jasminoides (sp?) or star jasmine, but it can get burned in full sun and it can freeze. I have Algerian ivy, and I do not recommend it to anyone who wants a life beyond trimming ivy.

My dad is currently planting Iceberg roses against his five foot tall chain link fence, and he will plant nandinas on the other side. Expensive, but low-maintenance and pretty. He only has 60 feet to cover.

Renee

Bookmark   January 2, 2011 at 2:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
domehome(9 CA)

I'm with Renee, I think bushes would be nice and there are lots of choices. I have a 30' Plumbago bush hedge, it's nice to have the blue flowers. You could use several types, maybe some Oleander?, that would be nice.
A quick fix for the fence would be jasmine, but be aware it is really fragrant and can be allergenic. As much as I love it my sister is allergic to it.
Sounds like a big project, good luck!
Dee

Bookmark   January 3, 2011 at 1:34AM
More Discussions
Container Gardening in Zone 9a
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would...
giddyupgo
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
Anyone have experience with avocado cultivars?
This appears to me a sign of deficiency I'm not sure...
avocadude
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™