Variegated Fritillary

misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)July 4, 2014

This beautiful variegated fritillary was in and out of the garden this afternoon, nectaring on the stoke's asters. I hope it was a female and left some eggs! The stoke's asters must have been producing more than the normal amount of nectar this afternoon, because many butterflies showed up to drink it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bernergrrl(z5 IL)

Beautiful! Love the colors! Does your Stoke's get much sun at all? I might need to move mine; had one in full sun in NH, and it was a very popular little plant. No bloom here yet, but it's in quite a bit of shade.

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 7:48AM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Those colors are so lush they almost look fake. I have Stokes Aster seedlings from Wintersowing that I haven't gotten in the ground yet. I think I'll plant them in a partly shaded area. As the sun moves in the sky, they will gradually have more sun. Yours are beautiful, and their popularity is an extra bonus.

Martha

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 10:47AM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Bernergrrl, wild stokes asters are blooming everywhere now in places ranging from full sun to mostly shade. They don't need much sun to grow and bloom, as a matter of fact, the blue seems to be darker in the shade. The ones in my garden are in a mostly shady area, with a little sun here and there.

Martha, when I edited the pictures of the butterflies on stokes aster, I turned up the saturation a little bit, but not much. The actual color is only a little paler than shown in the picture. And the variegated fritillary benefitted from rays of western sun shining on it. Still, every picture I've made of a VF makes them look more brilliant than they do to the naked eye. I have no idea why.

Sherry

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 1:02PM
davessels

Beautiful Sherry, I must plant some asters next spring!

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 6:55PM
dragonflydee

Sherry

I am so in love with your camera!!!
That picture would make a beautiful beautiful POSTER
I would put it up on the wall right now in my reading room
Where I enjoy decorating with posters.

I have several Fritts hanging out in my yard right now they
Remind me of my American Ladies because they like to poke abt
In low level vegetation so much.
They can certainly fly higher when they find something they like!
They have been all over the blooms of this Tropical Milkweed.

I am expecting more Gulfs now because these Passiflora blooms
Are already slipping;I can see young green fruits.

DD

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 2:00PM
Leafhead

I went on a three hour butterfly count and counted 37 Great Spangled Frittilaries. They were surpassed in number only by Common Wood Nymphs and Banded Hairstreaks. I had a GSF flying around my garden the day before.
A great year for Violets and Frittilaries.

John

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 6:36PM
catherinet(5 IN)

Another beautiful pic, Sherry.

Don't you love it with the sun shines on them (or behind them) and it makes them look even more brilliant......like stained glass.
Although, I guess I should say that stained glass looks almost as good as butterflies! haha

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 7:19PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Yes, sometimes the sunlight is just right, Catherine!

Leafhead, that's an INCREDIBLE number of great spangled frits!

Dee, my passionvines are huge now, I could feed any army of cats, but the VF didn't leave any eggs (as far as I know) - I suspect it was a male. I haven't seen even one gulf frit. I sure wish they'd show up!

Debra, stokes asters are extremely easy to grow, so, if you have a mostly shady area where other things won't grow or bloom, stokes asters would be a good choice.

Sherry

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
Ordered seeds.
I ordered some seeds today and was wondering how I...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
Monsanto and monarchs
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/01/27/monsanto-we-are-absolutely-committed-to-monarch-butterfly-conservation/...
arkpollinator
Is everyone ready for upcoming SPRING????
I am in Florida. I already made a flower bed inside...
angelimperfect36
Sleeving
In another thread ladobe wrote: >Sleeving in the...
drzoidberg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™