Sleepy Oranges

misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)July 4, 2014

The top of my Christmas cassia was killed to the ground this past winter, and it was slow to recover. Consequently, I didn't get the sleepy orange eggs I normally get - they're usually the first eggs of the butterfly season in spring. There have been several males flitting around the garden lately, but a female joined them today. The Christmas cassia has grown to a fairly decent size, and the volunteer C. oblongifolias/sicklepods are a pretty decent size, too. Maybe I'll find eggs and/or cats soon!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bernergrrl(z5 IL)

Yeah! I finally planted Wild Senna last year, and some Partridge Pea this year; hope we get some sulphurs too.

Haven't seen too many sulphurs here--maybe just one Clouded now and again. Sad that a "common" butterfly is not so common.

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 7:45AM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Bernergrrl, all the sulphurs in my part of the country - cloudless, sleepy oranges and little yellows - use senna, but I think northern sulphurs use other plants, like clovers and such. I have partridge pea, and I keep thinking the SOs and little yellows will use them, but they don't, only the cloudless sulphurs use them, and then only in fall. Still, I like having them if only to see yellow caterpillars when they eat the flowers or green when they eat the leaves.

Sherry

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 1:07PM
woollybear69(9b Fla.)

A beautiful butterfly picture.

Bookmark   November 11, 2014 at 7:42AM
More Discussions
Forum changes due to Houzz
I'm never happy when somebody buys up a website I use...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
Lemon Mint Monarda - Annual, Perennial? Reseeds?
I feel like this question could be posted in 5 different...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Spring Azure!
I was working outside on this clear day, and I saw...
misssherry
Camera settings for butterflies...part III
The quality of your photographs relies on proper settings...
bob_71
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™