Sleepy Oranges

misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)July 4, 2014

The top of my Christmas cassia was killed to the ground this past winter, and it was slow to recover. Consequently, I didn't get the sleepy orange eggs I normally get - they're usually the first eggs of the butterfly season in spring. There have been several males flitting around the garden lately, but a female joined them today. The Christmas cassia has grown to a fairly decent size, and the volunteer C. oblongifolias/sicklepods are a pretty decent size, too. Maybe I'll find eggs and/or cats soon!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bernergrrl(z5 IL)

Yeah! I finally planted Wild Senna last year, and some Partridge Pea this year; hope we get some sulphurs too.

Haven't seen too many sulphurs here--maybe just one Clouded now and again. Sad that a "common" butterfly is not so common.

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 7:45AM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Bernergrrl, all the sulphurs in my part of the country - cloudless, sleepy oranges and little yellows - use senna, but I think northern sulphurs use other plants, like clovers and such. I have partridge pea, and I keep thinking the SOs and little yellows will use them, but they don't, only the cloudless sulphurs use them, and then only in fall. Still, I like having them if only to see yellow caterpillars when they eat the flowers or green when they eat the leaves.

Sherry

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 1:07PM
woollybear69(9b Fla.)

A beautiful butterfly picture.

Bookmark   November 11, 2014 at 7:42AM
More Discussions
Did anyone watch the Monarch Butterfly segment on CBS Sunday Morning?
This was interesting and inspirational! The speaker...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
looking for mistletoe
Would love to attract a purple hairstreak .... any...
Meredith Mays
2014 Recap w/ Photos
Every winter I like to go through my yardlist and photos...
molanic
Butterflies in my house - what should I do?
I found a cabbage white fluttering between the inner...
joannpalmyra
Disney's "Wings of Life"
If you want to be truly astonished by the beauty and...
saxonmjs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™