wintered-over plant wilting

ridgetop01(z5 CNY)April 26, 2013

I have a brugmansia that was afflicted with whiteflies last summer. I kept it in the basement all winter, barely moist, so it was just bare stems when I brought it up a while ago. I put it into the light, and it began two grow several new shoots, but the soil of it and other plants in the house seems to be infested with flea beetles - this may be irrelevant, not sure.

In any event the new shoots are starting to wilt at the end, and turn gray. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong, and what to do about it? I know little about this plant but would hate to lose it! Thanks in advance!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MissMudPuppy(z7 - L.I.)

ridgetop01: Hello. As a fellow NYer, I will try to give you some advice based on my experience with my Brugs. Do you know how old your plant is? First thing's first, if your day & night time temps are above 50* (or you have some place to store it where it will be warm), I'd definitely get yours out of that pot & take a look at its roots. While overwintering mine, I started noticing a similar situation. I finally got around to repotting mine yesterday & to my horror discovered the poor thing's roots were root bound & the soil inside the pot had completely collapsed into a brick so its roots weren't getting enough oxygen. The soil was so badly compacted I had to break the pot open with a hammer & use a spade to cut some of the root mass away from the sides of the pot, which root pruned the Brug as well. Surprisingly enough the roots were still white & thick so I guess I got to it just in time but I'll know better in a few wks. My advice to you right now is to take it out of the pot, check the roots. If they're white or a light tan color & just root bound, do a little root pruning around the sides & put it in a little bigger pot with ether a good quality soil less potting mix or you can make your own following any of the recipes online many folks have developed (I'm using Al's 5-1-1 for mine this yr). DO NOT use any mix that's peat based because it holds too much moisture & in the Northeast here it will contribute to root rot over the winter. Hope this helps :). If you need help, feel free to email me.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:54AM
More Discussions
WANTED: Well rooted brug plants-can't root a cutting!
I love these plants and have tried multiple times to...
skipper08
How many cuttings in one pot?
I have 12 cuttings in water that have lengthy roots...
bdw75
Brugmansia cuttings
Hi I am trying to see if anyone has brugmansia cuttings...
marcie_new
Brug cuttings:
Good morning all, would like to know if anyone has...
plantmasterm
Question for Rosie1949. Re overwintering brugs in water
I posted this on another thread but since it may not...
mnwsgal 4 MN
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™