Rhubarb in Southern Calif?

sib5(socal9)February 24, 2008

Does anyone grow rhubarb in socal with good results?

Do you have any tips or tricks?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jillberto(Z9 CA)

I am here in inland San Diego Co. and I have had great luck with rhubarb. I have an extra huge plant that has been in the ground about 3 years now. I am finally going to be brave and divide it this year.

I planted it with lots of my own garden compost. It is on the outside edge of my veggie garden so it does get regular but not soaking irrigation.

While it produces many nice fat stems I rarely harvest any since I am the only one in my family that likes it!It makes a great edible ornamental.

Bookmark   February 24, 2008 at 2:04PM
sib5(socal9)

Yeah...Thumbs-up from jillberto!

Thank you for giving me the courage to plant rhubarb here in
Bradbury CA.

Now I know what to do.

I will be using it for my strawberry jam making.

I just need a temporary source to get me started.

There are many varieties of rhubarb, do you by any chance know which one yours is? or one especially for socal?

Bookmark   February 25, 2008 at 2:28PM
Jillberto(Z9 CA)

sib5 - I was curious as to where you are located. My folks are in Monrovia. Bradbury is a small place.

Sorry, I don't know what type I am growing. The stems display more green than red. I just bought it from my local corner nursery.

I could never figure out the timing of rhubarb/strawberry combos.

Bookmark   February 25, 2008 at 9:55PM
jimnginger(9)

I'd like to know the variety also if anyone else has had luck. Mine always died in the past and I gave up. Jim in Corona California. Thanks

Bookmark   March 15, 2008 at 6:00AM
greenwitch(Sz19 SoCal)

I was told by my friend Tony Kienitz (Master Vegetablarian, author of The Year I Ate My Yard and edible landscape professional) that to develop good flavor rhubarb needs chilling that we don't have in So Cal. I remember it was grown in Switzerland and made into local specialties (pastries and jams) but it snows there.

Bookmark   March 17, 2008 at 2:23PM
akarinz

I have tried many time to plant Rhubarb. I am in the San Gabriel Valley. One time I was successful and managed to keep the plant going for several years. But then it eventually faded away.

Last year I planted one in a 5 gallon pot, which I move around the yard, depending on what I feel it needs. It looks great now. So I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I love rhubarb pie, so I would love to have a production plant, if possible.

Karin

Bookmark   March 19, 2008 at 3:33PM
jimnginger(9)

I think the lack of chill is the major problem in So. Calif. Used to live in Ontario Canada and they grew like weeds with a snow cover, water and rich soil. Regards - Jim McNulty in Corona, Calif.

Bookmark   March 20, 2008 at 6:52AM
kelpmermaid(10S24)

I am curious, too. At a local farmer's market, I made a bee line for a strawberry rhubarb pie. The baker, maybe from Scotland, said, "So you must be from somewhere colder." I also understood from a former co-worker that it's dangerous to eat the leaves. I wonder what type jilberto has --- have you tried it? Somewhere, I have a strawberry rhubarb pie recipe...

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 12:37AM
socalbeachgal

I have been searching all over for rhubarb! I would like to grow it myself but have been somewhat discouraged by what I have read. I did find a good article by UC Davis called "Rhubarb Production in California".

I would like to try some "Cherry Red" (according the the UCD article, a variety that grows in CA) rhubarb in a barrel instead of the ground as it should get colder during the winter.

If that doesn't work, they say you can do rhubarb as an annual, but that could get mighty pricey since Park Seeds is selling sets (of two) bareroot rhubarb for $12.95.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhubarb Production in California

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 3:35AM
silverring

Would love to get a couple rhubarb plants, if someone is thinning out their plants. I live in the North County San Diego
silverring18@netscape.net

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 2:26PM
eloise_ca

I think I saw some rhubarb plants at Green Arrow. Never have tried growing it, but I love rhubarb/strawberry pie!

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 9:08AM
Jassiada

They are currently selling Victoria Rhubarb bulbs at Home Depot for $3.98 per 2. I live in Lemon Grove (San Diego).

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 6:57PM
kittymoonbeam

You will see it in the stores along with tulips and other cold area plants that don't grow well here. It's fun to try but it prefers winter cold as others have said.

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 12:44AM
woohooman

Jassiada: Home Depot and Lowe's sell lots of plants and seeds that have no business being planted here. Example -- Long day onion seeds.

I've never grown rhubarb but it sounds like it likes a chill. Maybe in the Mountains of SoCal?

Kevin

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 12:57AM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

Some advice given by a long time gardener was to plant the Rhubarb, but don't wait a year to harvest like usually suggested because it will probably not return. Think of it like a zucchini plant that you start again each season.

So I put one rhubarb in a place that it would be in the way next season, but fine for this one year. Three years later it is still happy and making rhubarb in a west facing hillside full sun all day slope.

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 11:27PM
More Discussions
Container Gardening in Zone 9a
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would...
giddyupgo
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
Please Help: Sheet Mulching leads to Bermuda Grass Nightmare!
Ok so we decided to lose our lawn "The Bay Friendly...
ktgrandy
Dymondia
Hi all! I planted some dymondia as a groundcover last...
Sabine Halfhill
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™