Cold hardy?

clarabelle63April 15, 2011

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the chances are that my NOID Brugs made it through the winter. I have 3, all NOID's, that I cut back to about 2 foot tall after the first hard frost and then mulched over with approximately 8 to 10 inches of mulch. The largest one, a yellow, has a stalk base larger than my ankle. Our temps averaged in the 30's for most of the winter, but we had quite a bit of snow, and of course some even colder weather. For the past couple of years, they were potted plants, but last summer I put them in the garden and turned them loose. I am hoping that the yellow one might come back from the root since it was so large. I've pulled back the mulch on all 3 and the stocks still feels tight in the ground, but I see no leaf buds. I might add that the one brug that I kept in the house all winter just broke dormancy and started leafing out within the past two weeks.

Thanks for your time!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chena(z8 Texas)

Sounds from your description that you should be good!! Isn't seeing them wake up just a thing of Beauty!! Good Luck! ;0)

BTW!! Welcome I look forward to seeing you around!

Kylie

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 4:47PM
fool4flowers(8)

If they are in the ground in zone 6 they might not come back. Always take cuttings before a frost as back up in your zone.

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 11:22PM
clarabelle63

Thanks for the replies! I did cuttings this year, like last year, but had no luck with them. I had so much on my mind with family issues that I was not "attentive" enough (I actually forgot to keep them watered! eek!) So, I am stuck with the four I have, one which I know is alive, and three that MIGHT be. I wish I had a larger home and a greenhouse, then my love for plants would be Oh so much easier to deal with!

Thanks again!
Carla

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 9:55PM
plantlover49(6B)

Clarabelle63
I live in zone 6B, I tried 2 yrs in a row to mulch & keep alive a couple Brugs to no avail, this zone is not a good zone to leave out Brugs, your best bet is to winter them over in a basement or in the house in front of good windows
I hope this helps

Elizabeth

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
Anyone have Painted Lady cuttings?
As common as painted lady used to be i am having trouble...
xeriscape8321
angel trumpet seeds
im getting ready to bid on some white and purple angel...
jeannie75
Need Brugs Cuttings
Hello, a few yrs back a very nice woman on this forum...
gardenlady48
Brugmansia cuttings
Hi I am trying to see if anyone has brugmansia cuttings...
marcie_new
Why don't my plants set seeds??
I have had my brugs for over 30 years and to my knowledge...
Monzi zone 8a South Carolina
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™