Need ID confirmations

Ohio_Green_Thumb(Zone 5b NW Ohio)November 19, 2005

I've got two plants that I'm not 100% certain of. The first is ID'd as Cheiridopsis purpurea but since I've just gotten it, I have no idea what color its flowers will be. The leaves are chunky and spotted, which seems to be correct for C. purpurea.

The second is this Adromischus. Al, you may remember I posted this one a few months ago. I've always thought it was bolusii, but could it be one of the forms of cooperi? I can't find anything on bolusii on the internet. This plant produces pale pink flowers in late spring, if that helps any.

In the last photo, you can see a small tip cutting that I just took a few days ago. I like the attractive, thick stems of this one and I'm sure it will be very attractive when it gets older.

Many thanks in advance,

Amy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

I'm not convinced by C. purpurea. It looks like it is a sheathing species, possibly even a dimorphic one. Watch how it develops over the year, and a flower would be a great clue.

Bookmark   November 20, 2005 at 7:28AM
Niel42_Scotland

Nice plants Amy.
I would say your Adromischus looks more like A.triflorus than A.cooperi there is so much variation in leaf forms within the species that sometimes it is quite difficult to get a hard and fast ID.
The flowers are a great way of narrowing it down as it puts your plant into the right group or section for IDing.
If you get a chance to obtain the excellent book Adromischus by John Pilbeam,Chris Rodgerson and Derek Tribble you will find it very informative with super pictures of all the species and shows also the different flowers within the different groups.
Hope this helps.
Niel.

Bookmark   November 20, 2005 at 7:41AM
deefar(zone 5 NY)

Nice plants Amy :)

Dawn

Bookmark   November 20, 2005 at 7:56AM
More Discussions
Greenhouse at dawn (photo)
Here's a photo of my greenhouse about twenty minutes...
cactus_cowboy
Surprise Gymnocalycium mihanovichii var. friedrichii polypoid seed pod
Hi, Just wanted to share. This seed pod by color and...
dirt_farmer
Id this succulent
My friend has this at home, it's so pretty! Can you...
succulover
Need information on this plant
Do you know the name of this plant? Is it a indoor...
homegrownc
ID this cactus?
I got this little guy from Al's about a month ago....
allyhaas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™