Do you have a subsurface irrigation contractor recommendations?

monjolijardin(z10 CA)February 5, 2014

I need to have my front lawn replaced as it has been destroyed by the roots of a tree that we just removed.

Since a lot of digging will take place to remove the root, I decided to look into subsurface irrigation for my lawn.

Would you happen to have any recommendations in terms of contractors who could do the job in the Oceanside, Vista and Carlsbad area?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

do you get gophers? they will bite into the lines for the water. You are probably better off with a low precipitation rate rotor like MP rotators. subsurface irrigation is great for small residential planting areas and grass tennis courts, but I wouldn't put it in a residential lawn.

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 10:56AM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

I'd suggest checking for contractor referrals from your localNetafim distributor/irrigation supplier. I spec'd netafim for a subdivision in Livermore, Ca once 20 years ago, thinking it would result in significant water savings. It was more expensive to install due to fewer contractors familiar with most efficient installation techniques. It also drove individual homeowners crazy, because the watering wasn't visible, and many homeowners would reset timing way beyond what the manufacturer recommended based on local climate and soils. I've never been tempted to spec it again. With the drought, I'd suggest jettisoning the lawn, period, and redesigning the yard with drought tolerant design/no lawn.

Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 3:01AM

what bahia said.

Netafim is definitely the way to go for drip, but you have to be very cognizant of your soil type. Sandy soil requires a lot of emitters which means a lot of tube.

The bestidea is to ditch the lawn.

Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 11:07AM
monjolijardin(z10 CA)

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry for the delayed responses. I have been under the weather and forgot about my computer for a few days.

No, we do not have gophers. Nevertheless, thank you for the heads up.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of the lawn. Unfortunately, our HOA prevents us from doing so.

I will contact a few of my local Netafim distributor/irrigation supplier for referrals. Thanks for the tip.

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 8:12AM

HOA lawn requirements should be illegal in Southern California.

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
Anyone have experience with avocado cultivars?
This appears to me a sign of deficiency I'm not sure...
avocadude
Homeless Veteran Gardening
Hello, Well, I'm back after taking a rather serious...
bearstate
Ground cover for erosion control?
I am looking to plant a hillside with something that...
Sabine Halfhill
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Covering
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™