cutting back a yucca?

bettyn_gardener(9 Sunset 14)February 21, 2009

I have a yucca that has been in a large pot for at least 6 or 7 years. It is now nearing 10 feet tall. It has started to produce 2 branchlets near the base. I would love to cut it back because the height is out of proportion with everything else on the enclosed deck (open overhead). Can I cut it back without it forever looking beheaded? If I can cut it back - how much would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

BettyN

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltecato(9)

I'm pretty sure you can. I see lots of yuccas that look like they've been topped off to encourage branching.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 5:08PM
wanda(Z9 CA)

I agree. I think yuccas are pretty much indestructible.

I had one growing that I wanted to get rid of. I hacked and hacked at the trunk, dug a moat around the base and kept it filled with water hoping to rot it out. It finally rotted and I set the rotted stump aside, filled in the hole and about a month later a baby yucca was growing out of the hole. 2 months later I noticed to yucca babies growing out of the rotted piece of stump that was just sitting there. It's been 2 years now and babies are still growing out of both the original hole and the stump. One tough plant!

wanda

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 1:34AM
calistoga_al

Now that you know you are not going to kill it, back to the question of what will it look like cut off? The pups growing on the base of the old stem will grow and fill out and in a year or two and cover the stub. If it were mine I think I would consider removing the pups from the stem and planting them in pots to grow on. After 6 or 7 years the soil in the old pot must be in such a poor condition only a yucca could survive in it. I would discard the old plant and the soil and start over with new soil formulated for long life. If you want the best architectural looking plant just plant one of the old pups in the rejuvenated container. I prefer the look of a healthy new plant over an old revived one. Al

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
Mystery plants!
Can anyone identify these plants? The seeds I was...
barbiejpete
Nasturtiums and Cannabis
To avoid Nasturtiums taking over my garden next year...
patmonk
Anyone have experience with avocado cultivars?
This appears to me a sign of deficiency I'm not sure...
avocadude
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™