We got a normal years rainfall already

californianFebruary 6, 2010

Looks like the drought is finally broken. According to my rain gauge we already got 14.5 inches of rain in Fullerton in north Orange County, thanks to the additional 2.5 inches we got yesterday and this morning. It would really help if we got maybe 17 to 20 inches total this rainy season. I expect to see a lot of green this year.

The really good thing is this rain will leach the salt buildup out of the soil caused by years of watering with Colorado River water that comes out of the hose.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)

Oh, absolutely. So much here on my property was really, really struggling by the end of summer with water bills getting higher and higher and me trying to water less. Everything is fresh and lush and healthy now, soil has been cleansed, everything is thriving and happy. I heard it mentioned on the weather report that our El Nino rains would continue through mid-spring and I'm hoping that means a much later start to my 'watering' season. I have a large sweep of echium fastuosums that were really in bad shape and I figured that they were nearing the end of their 5-6 year lifespan...now they are absolutely beautiful once again.

Bookmark   February 6, 2010 at 12:11PM
gobluedjm

Nope, sorry the drought is not broken. It can take up to 3 years of excessive amounts to get relief from a drought. Just cuz you got normal doesn't mean the reserviors are more than full to last. The wish for 20 inches won't last long enough.

"The Colorado River, the other major source of imported supplies for Metropolitan, has experienced drought conditions for eight of the last nine years." for more info on that statement follow the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: water alert

Bookmark   February 6, 2010 at 12:44PM
dicot

Yesterday/this morning was incredible, just non-stop heavy rain, more even than any day of the Jan. storms. I'm still left wondering about runoff from these high-intensity storms vs the recharge rate of the groundwater & aquifers and whether a few superstorms can equal months of steady rain for non-irrigated lands.

Sure did me right though, as I had just weeded and transplanted some seedlings, so this watered them right in.

Bookmark   February 6, 2010 at 3:13PM
stanofh

Not here in the south SF bay area-but in the north bay some of Marin county have already DOUBLED last years rain total. And they really need it since that exclusive area depends on five dinky resevoirs for ALL their water-no Sac river,Yosemite or Sierra's...just five giant ponds.

Bookmark   February 6, 2010 at 4:47PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I think my neighbor's trees may live after this rainfall. They have not had a drink since 2005, and they were beginning to look a little peaked.

Bookmark   February 7, 2010 at 7:24PM
caavonldy(8/9 N CA)

Lake Oroville is still way down. They kept pumping out water to send to So Cal until it was almost just a mud puddle. The mountains in the north still need a lot more snow to make up for the dry years.

Bookmark   February 13, 2010 at 7:42PM
More Discussions
trees wont grow
i bought these crepe myrtle trees about 4 years ago.i...
Carlos Hernandez
Has anyone tried gooseberries and currants?
I love fruiting plants so much but being in the Bay...
tog5632
Pittosporum 'Silver Sheen'
I live in Northridge, CA which is located in the San...
runaround
little green worms on roses
Larvae of what? They seem to be going for the buds...
bettyn_gardener
Privacy Trees?
Good afternoon, I'm hoping to find a recommendation...
sirwoodland
Sponsored Products
Artisan 2-Qt. Hammered Stainless Steel Insulated Pitcher
$63.99 | zulily
Madrix Luna DMX Controller (8 universes)
EnvironmentalLights.com
Solo Widespread Kitchen Faucet with Side Spray and Soap Dispenser
Signature Hardware
Kathy Ireland Office by Bush Furniture Grand Expressions 48-inch Hutch with Over
Overstock.com
Serena & Lily Rolling Storage Crates
Serena & Lily
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Home Decorators Collection Rugs Lavish Brown 2
Home Depot
New Veg Dyed Oriental Chobi Peshawar 9' Round Hand Knotted Blue Wool Rug H3838
BH Sun Inc
Tootie's Peach Pie
$58.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™