Irises that do well in Southern CA

hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)February 18, 2013

Hi all,
If you're interested in irises that won't melt in the Southern California heat, here's a post on iris hybridizer Margie Valenzuela on the AIS blog. She hybridizes in Arizona, so her flowers do very well in So Cal.
Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: AIS blog Margie Valenzuela

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Moving this down the list.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 11:49PM
kittymoonbeam

I liked sunrise at dawn. My best iris has been Frequent Flier. Last year wasn't a great year for my iris and one of the staff at Descanso said they had a poor iris year too so I don't feel so bad.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 12:23AM

It was a lousy year for me too. I hope this year is better, but I doubt it will be because I divided all of my clumps last year.

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 1:51AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Wowie, Renee. I am getting ready to work with one of our really exceptional SDHS members qho is also an award-winning landscape designer to work on my side yard. One goal in that area is to add more irises. This is just perfect. Now, to find out how to get my hands on some of Margie's fantastic irises. I'm really interested in rebloomers if possible, as all of mine currently are not. I was considering for some of my planters to do 'Gourmet Popcorn' roses and 'City Lights' irises, as I think the contrast would be so pretty, but I'm now going to rethink this. Thanks for sharing this. And, my irises were not nearly as grand as the year before, and I need to divide them up for sure, way too crowded, so I will have to do that as well with this project.

Patty S.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 9:53PM

Oooh- Gourmet Popcorn and City Lights! Wowie. City Lights reblooms very late here- in the winter. It sure is an eye-catcher in the garden.

Violet Turner has been a champion rebloomer for my mom. Mariposa Autumn is another winner- reblooms all summer and fall.

Margie's irises are available at Nola's Iris gardens, Rockytop, and Kari Iris Garden.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 10:25PM

Thank you, Renee! I am taking notes for Saturday!! My big challenge with this north part of my yard, is 1/2 of it is in nearly complete shade from the house nearly all year 'round, and the other half in in full sun during the summer, then more shaded during the winter, when the sun is lower in the horizon. Plus, it gets standing water in the winter during our rains. Linda Bresler will have her hands full for this part of my yard. I have relented and am getting some real professional help :-) Great article on Margie, btw, Renee, I really enjoyed reading it.

Patty S.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 11:40PM

Let us know what she comes up with for those conditions- I have a spot like that.
Renee

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 1:02PM

I sure will, Renee. It's been the buggaboo of my yard since buying this lovely home. It is such a pretty part of my yard, but most definitely the most challenging.

Patty S.

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
So Cal - TOP 3 Tomatoes
If you live in Southern California, and you could plant...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
Need help with privacy issues - Sunset zone 18
I have an odd side yard that is on a busy street. ...
mariandailey
Discount pottery now that Norcal has Closed?
Does anyone have any good sources for discount pottery...
kristimama
Preventing Mildew on Pole Beans (Menlo Park)
I'm a fan of a purple pole bean variety called Trionfo...
Mahonia [Sunset Zone 15, USDA 8B]
Sponsored Products
Vincent VanGogh 'Irises in the Garden' Wrapped Canvas Art
Overstock.com
View of Arles With Irises Canvas Wall Art by Vincent van Gogh - 24W x 20H in. Mu
$119.99 | Hayneedle
Hummingbird & Irises Flag
$8.99 | zulily
Hummingbird & Irises Flag
$8.99 | zulily
Vibrant Outdoor Wall Art
Grandin Road
Vincent Van Gogh 'Irises' Hand Painted Framed Canvas Art
Overstock.com
Fun Rugs Jade Reynolds JR-TSC Irises Area Rug - Multicolor - JR-TSC-169 3958
$74.51 | Hayneedle
Helena Garden Water Outdoor Fountain - HG54