Lost 5 Monarchs to a mouse

minrose(4Mn)July 14, 2011

I thought they were safe in the two pavilions I had them, they had just recently hatched the day before. I am bummed, they did not get a chance to fly or live very long. The mouse chewed a whole in the two pavilions I had them in, I was going to release them today!

Needless to say I am getting mousetraps today.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

Wow, that is unreal. I didn't know mice would eat butterflies--thought they were herbivores.

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 10:28AM
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH

It seems like most herbivores will turn into omnivores, including caterpillars, when given the chance. There are videos of cows eating rabbits and chickens that have been making the rounds.

Rodents will definitely eat insects.

At my last house, I used to sit my mothel/modified bird cage on my deck when I was attracting male moths. Mice started eating my females so I ended up putting mouse traps on the floor of the cage before I figured out a way to get the cage off the deck floor.

KC

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 12:06PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

How sad Minrose. I'm so sorry. I didn't know a mouse would eat a butterfly either.

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 12:34PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

'So sorry, Minrose!
Years ago, when I first started raising caterpillars, a mouse chewed through two of the mesh coverings of cages on my porch and ate several monarch chrysalides. But I didn't know they'd eat an adult butterfly.
Sherry

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 12:54PM
minrose(4Mn)

Thank you for your kind comments, it was a very sad sight to see. I am putting all my Monarchs up high in another room where we do have 2 good mousers cats roaming around. It is high enough cats can get them but they can keep an eye on the mice. I have mice traps set in the room I did have them in.

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
Low desert pipevines
Has anyone had any success growing butterfly host pipevines...
joncongaroo
Sleeving
In another thread ladobe wrote: >Sleeving in the...
drzoidberg
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
Protecting cats outside
I'm not really into bringing the cats inside, so I'm...
catherinet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™