Overwintering the BST

lucas_tx_gwJuly 29, 2011

OK, so I have this BST that seems to be determined to overwinter and it's only July. So something like 9 months till s/he ecloses?

What do I do with it in the meantime?

Still have it in the house right now. Do I refrigerate it, just put it outside after it gets cold, what?

Thanks

Teri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wifey2mikey(7a Tulsa, OK)

I raise mine on a screen cage on a covered porch so I'm not sure what to do with one that was raised indoors. I have *several* that haven't eclosed yet and I think (in my uneducated opinion) that it has something to do with the heat.

Looking forward to reading other responses...

~Laura

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 10:31AM
lucas_tx_gw

I have another one that's pupating today and instead of attaching to a stick, he's going to pupate right on the screen on the top of the container, which is going to make things even more interesting.

The container is one of those styrofoam ice chests that we cut a big opening in the top and put in window screen.

It works great b/c cats get great traction and crawl all over inside it but it's kind of big.

I'd like to find a more compact way to store them over the winter!

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 10:07AM
tracey_nj6(6)

I rear mine in a home built cage on my deck, which remains on the deck all winter. Only during harsh wind chills do I cover it with a sheet. I never know if they're going to eclose that year or overwinter. It makes things alot easier, but do run the risk of paratization, an issue I'm all to familiar with :(

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 10:41AM
wifey2mikey(7a Tulsa, OK)

We had actual temps of -10 or so this past winter and my butterflies still eclosed without any difficulty, thank goodness. I haven't had any trouble with paratization inside the screened cage my husband built. I did have a spider get inside once though and it did kill a monarch chrysalis. :-(

~Laura

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 12:24PM
darla1123(7)

I have the same situation right now. I actually have 5 BST chrysalis, they have been like this for well over a month now. I was wondering if they were overwintering already. It seems awful early.
I am in NJ, and it has been very hot the past few weeks, could this have anything to do with it? They look healthy, so I don't think they have died. Any advice would be great.

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 3:23PM
More Discussions
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
We need Monarch wings to help injured Monarchs!
We are looking for Monarch wings anyone has saved from...
KSOhio
A romantic moment
Lots of activity in my garden. We released 7 male Monarchs...
jane__ny
Disney's "Wings of Life"
If you want to be truly astonished by the beauty and...
saxonmjs
This stuff is hard
I have a ten acre prairie restoration that I have made...
rollie
Sponsored Products
Brookfield Brownstone Four Light Vanity
$154.00 | Bellacor
Gadsden Brown Stone Outdoor Pendant
$180.00 | Bellacor
Brookfield Brownstone Three Light Vanity
$128.00 | Bellacor
Surya Bombay BST-479 Rug
Beyond Stores
Atwood Brown Stone One-Light 6-Inch Outdoor Wall Mount
$86.00 | Bellacor