Anyone else being garden spammed?

GeeS 9bApril 21, 2013

I'm getting loads of garden-related spam, a recent development, and I'd love to finger the perp responsible. Could be a forum, could be a vendor, no idea really....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaktuskris(5)

I haven't received any.

Christopher

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 8:52AM
emerald1951

Hi, I have been also...I posted about it before.....
I get alot of e-mails that look like there from people on the GW....and its not, its from amazon, or its from fox network, or just crap from garden related sites,or there selling pills to loose weight or grow hair....I too would like to know how to stop it all...sometimes I will have 30 to 40 e-mails.....YUCK......linda

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 8:55AM
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

I have not had any "garden" related spam, but I have had an increase it electronic type (Sony, etc.) email lately. I think I narrowed down my culprit by dates...the time I registered online for my new HP printer. During registration process, I either checked or didn't uncheck the box allowing for email from partners of the HP company. Have you registered anything online lately? (Maybe ordering something online might cause this too?)

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 10:05AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

It's not GW or any of the forums I visit. My spam is surprisingly light on anything related to gardening, but I do get a lot of it! Luckily my mail problem is almost 100% accurate at weeding it out, but I do glance at it. Once in a great while, a real message gets stuck in there.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 10:39AM
cactusmcharris

No spam here, but it is an occasion to ask yourself if it's got much spam in it.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 10:56AM
dannie317

When I created my login for GW, I got a confirmation from iVillage; clearly this site is affiliated with iVillage. I would check out the setting in your profile (see "My Profile" at the top left of the page). You can uncheck the box that asks if you want to receive promotional emails. Make sure nothing has been reset; that could be what led to the spam.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:55PM
GeeS 9b

^ Good idea, but no, not that. Here is an example of one I get several times per day.

"The Best Expanding Garden Hose"

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 8:46PM
cactusmcharris

GS,

And you have your pop-up filter on?

Maybe someone's overly concerned about how you cover your feet.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 10:54PM
GeeS 9b

Here's another one.

Blah blah blah - Starts Growing in Just 5 Days

Get beautiful green grass all year round. Developed by scientists, Blah blah blah works in the toughest terrain from sandy soils to high traffic areas. You'll be amazed how it multiplies rapidly to fill in bare spots and choke out weeds. Now you can keep your lawn's color and texture through every season.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 11:35PM
dannie317

It really sounds like you've made a purchase from somewhere and unknowingly managed to get your email address onto the wrong list!

A lot of those types of emails have an unsubscribe link in the fine print on the bottom. It might be worth clicking through and removing your email from those lists when possible.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:25AM
cactusmcharris

Clearly they don't know you and your non-existent yard, eh?

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 8:35AM
GeeS 9b

It's small, but I assure you, it exists.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 10:35AM
emerald1951

hi, if this works you can see the crape that I get...
they are e-mails from other members...that I would guess they don't know anything about...these ads are using GW members e-mail list to sent out their crape.....
this link was sent to me from greengirls e-mail and I bet she doesn't know about....maybe she will see this and respond......linda
http://tribeniglobal.com/wp-content/plugins/akicmet/bing.php?bizu715fj

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 9:09AM
More Discussions
Lithops wound
what is this? What should I do?
Celeste Jackson
Any ideas on what this is?
Hi everyone!! I just acquired this, I'm thinking thinking...
LilBit7765
New jade arrivals from Australia and Italy
Hi, just wanted to show you my new jades that arrived...
bens2bens
Will this plant make it?
I put this plant in the sun for a almost a day and...
yonatin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™