its going to be COLD

sffog(10/SanFran)February 22, 2011

be prepared to cover tender plants towards the end of the week we are suppose to get COLD maybe even snow at sea level

i have new leaves on meyers lemon shrub, butter crunch lettuce about 2 inches, pea pods climbing, kale and collards should be okay , going to get those agribond covers out today

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sonaliagrawal

I just read this story on SF Gate. Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snow at sea level in bay area

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 5:58PM
tim45z10

They are saying snow is possible in Escondido, a northern town of San Diego County, on Saturday.

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 9:29PM
wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)

I don't want to hear this......

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 10:13PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Get used to it.

Dan

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 11:27PM
wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)

lol.....

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 1:11AM
NorCalNiko(USDA 9 Sunset 16/17)

Wasn't nearly as cold as advertised last night in Central Marin county... Supposed to be really cold thursday and friday night, so I'll bring my figs inside, but we'll see.

Anybody seeing anything dramatic yet?

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 12:36PM
stanofh

43 for a low this morning..and the lowest low fo rmost of the inner bay area shouldnt be lower than 35f at worst F-S. But,its not so much cold at sea level as very cold higher up that some winter wonderland might visit us. Funny,but most snowy days in history have happened in February.

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 3:37PM
ashleysf(9 San Jose,CA)

They are predicting snow in my neighborhood - I just finished covering all my sensitive plants with tarp. But, seeing snow in my yard will be something!

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 3:59PM
stanofh

Yeah,there saying snow...some are. The big local media weather names arent. The newbys are for some reason...

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 3:00PM
calistoga_al

Our coldest morning this year, 26 degrees. This is about normal for our lowest temperatures of the year. We have no snow or rain, I believe clouds would need to be present. Al

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 9:15AM
sffog(10/SanFran)

reports of snow flurries on mt davidson but i was asleep so i can't comment but the cars are frosty this morning but melting quickly its bright,sunny and currently 40 degrees in my backyard not bad

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 12:02PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Not even frost here in the flats of my Berkeley neighborhood this morning, and I am thankful because I got lazy and didn't move or cover anything. One or at most two more nights to get through, apparently, and I think we will be in the clear. I would have felt rather guilty if half the garden looked fried, and the Cymbidium blooms in particular this year are looking prime.

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 12:41PM
stanofh

I thought it would fizzle-and it did.

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 1:35PM
ashleysf(9 San Jose,CA)

What snow??? They had me fooled. Not even frost here - temps fell to the 31, but back to 45 now. To think that I wasted half a day covering all my sensitive plants ...

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 1:35PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Well, we had frost, and what sounded like sleet last night (too late/early and too tired to get up and look out the window). It was definitely in the low 30's this morning. Thank goodness I covered up my little Jan Boyce, Nimlioh and Kona Sharwil avos last night. Same cold temps forcasted for tonight out here in N. San Diego county. Lots of frost on the ground this morning. Hope my figs are okay, and the rest of my citrus. May cover my smaller fig trees - the Panache Fig is too tall for me to cover.

Patty S.

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 11:35AM
wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)

I did dig out the row covers yesterday afternoon and cover a lot of stuff, mostly all potted (got a LOT of potted stuff..lol..)Took a walk around this a.m. to see what had taken place during the night.....we do have some frost. It's interesting to see the small areas that got hit and right next to it, nothing. Nothing as dire as predicted, but will have to wait until the sun has hit everything to really see about any damage. This is when we find out how tough things really are for our locale.
Time to take a run out through Warner Springs and the Pauma Valley to take a look at the snow on the mountains......

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 11:55AM
ashleysf(9 San Jose,CA)

We had a hard frost last night. The roof and the ground was covered in ice. But, the plants seemed ok - no frost or ice on the trees, but the grass underneath was covered in ice. But this seems the end of the bad weather in bay area.

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 12:15PM
stanofh

Juuuuust,missed a black frosting of plants in Hayward..I saw the temps at 4am or so at 35,went back to sleep..woke up,got the paper at 7:45 to see a low of 34f hadnt done any damage-whew. Warming up though with lots of sun.
I did cover some planted Plumeria last night to hedge bets...
The hills look so nice right now-verdant green...

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 12:33PM
brettay

25 degrees here last night in northern Marin. The new growth on my citrus is toasted. Sad. I want spring!

-Brett

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
Echium wildpretii. "Tower of jewels"
Anyone have experience with these? I planted seeds....
llilibel03
Is there an "easy" red Kangaroo paw???
I planted 2 "Big Red" KP about a month ago....
Sabine Halfhill
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™