Beginner's questions on spring bulb and seed planting

rozdFebruary 16, 2013

Friends:

I live in an apartment in the LA area, and my landlord recently has allowed me to use a small space (60 sq. ft) in front of the apartment as a cutting flower garden. I'd like to try dahlias from tubers and sunflowers, but need some help about the best time to plant. The area gets good morning sun, but because of surrounding apartments, a lot of it is in shade by 2:00 pm. Nonetheless, I'm willing to deal with somewhat spindly plants and staking, if I can get a few nice blooms.

So what's the best time to put the dahlia tubers in the ground? Should I start the sunflowers from seeds inside, and then replant outside, or sow directly into the ground? If I start the seeds inside (I have a light stand), when should I start them? And if I sow directly into the ground, when should I sow?

thanks in advance for any recommendations.

-Roz, in LA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sautesmom

Sunflowers are easy--plant from seeds, and put them in the ground now. The dahlias are also ready to go in the ground now, plus this is the best time for getting them at places like Costco or Sam's Club.

You don't say where you are in LA, but your sun situation should be fine, unless you live near the coast, where it might not get sunny enough due to morning clouds.

Carla in Sac

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 8:54PM
More Discussions
Sunset Magazine slowly being gutted
A real shame. I've been a subscriber for decades, ever...
jkom51
So Cal - TOP 3 Tomatoes
If you live in Southern California, and you could plant...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
Need help with privacy issues - Sunset zone 18
I have an odd side yard that is on a busy street. ...
mariandailey
Has anyone tried gooseberries and currants?
I love fruiting plants so much but being in the Bay...
tog5632
please help me decide on a fast growing screen
For many years the back of my neighbor's lot which...
kentc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™