Less than an inch of rain in the past five weeks

californianFebruary 8, 2011

This year started off really good with ten inches of rain in December alone, but then the rain just about stopped, and January and February are supposed to be the rainiest months. Looks like the La Nina predictions of another drought year were right except for the freak December storms.

The weather reports predict no rain for the next five days so my hopes for a really good year for my fruit trees is slowly fading.

But my Kumquat tree is loaded with the biggest, sweetest tasting fruit it ever made thanks to the December rain.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)

I heard on the news a week or so ago that in a La Nina year, we get our rain in Oct., Nov., and Dec. Hadn't heard this before. There was mention on the news tonight of a slight chance of rain this next week. I'm actually surprised at the areas on my property that are still wet /damp....those areas that are shaded and have a lot of leaf litter. This will be the year to see how much of my long established plantings can survive. Things are going to have to make it on very, very little water or get
pulled. The water costs are just insane.

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 12:50AM
tim45z10

The SD Tribune has a rain guessing contest every year. This year I guessed 9.87. I need almost 1.5 inches more. I am hoping for rain early next week. My rain barrel is almost empty.

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 2:31PM
wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)

Do they have their rain gauge at the Trib offices? I'm pretty sure we've had more rain than that up in Fallbrook so far.....

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 3:47PM
caavonldy(8/9 N CA)

I noticed that I have to water some of my winter vegies. Things were doing well with all the rain. Even the frost we had up here in the N. Sacto Valley didn't bother anything. I need to replant some things.A jack rabbit got into our garden and ate all my lettuce and spinach. I have some row covers I found and I am hoping that they will keep the rabbits from getting into the next bunch of seedlings. They are predicting rain next week, but I can't wait till then to get my plants watered.

Bookmark   February 10, 2011 at 10:36PM
fouquieria(10b)

I"m starting to water again.

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 12:57PM
berger3(10b)

Showers predicted for Southern California next week. Yay!

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 2:15PM
stanofh

For us old time bay areans,the break in the rain isnt unusual,its that we have been in that 68-80f range in that mid winter break,smashing-no exagerration when the old records are mid 60's and then we come along with 80f- THAT's unusual and enough to send you back in onto the GW crowds bandwagon after you left in all that late Nov cold and Dec rains. Bay area temps this time of year are like clockwork-55h-65h at most...70s? 80?!

Bookmark   February 12, 2011 at 2:13PM
dicot

I have a hard time imagining that this won't be the warmest Feb in L.A. history, I'm now germinating tomatoes & squash outside with no bottom heat, the brassicas are bolting and the aphids are in full force. I swear I'm halfway thinking of going bodysurfing in the ocean today in just shorts.

Bookmark   February 12, 2011 at 3:09PM
More Discussions
ISO Bored/Retired Landscape Designer In Sacramento Area
Posting to ask if anyone in my area might know if there...
billy3p
little green worms on roses
Larvae of what? They seem to be going for the buds...
bettyn_gardener
Looking for Soil Testing Company Recommendations
I'd like to have my soil tested and would like some...
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
please help me decide on a fast growing screen
For many years the back of my neighbor's lot which...
kentc
LADWP turf removal rebate
Hello! My partner and I bought our house in March....
yourmomsart
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™