Bitten by the Aloe bug

ctreeteac(Zone 8b; rain-spewing Oregon)April 21, 2013

If you see Aloe laeta, get it. It's hard to perfectly capture the silver hues in this plant! It's so beautiful, I can hardly stand it. Such a fortunate find.

Also means for celebration: found my first E. with caruncles. Labeled as Echeveria 'Embossed Gem.' Not big and impressive yet, but I'll be working on that.

I hope you enjoy the Aloe, Mara. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Beachplants(Z11)

Lovely Mara! Very interesting teeth as well, can certainly understand the excitement - I would be too!

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:14PM
ctreeteac(Zone 8b; rain-spewing Oregon)

Oh. Haha, my name's Colleen, just to be clear. Apparently that last thought was written oddly and can come off as though I was signing my own name, or perhaps even giving the name of the Aloe. No, no, I was hoping Mara might enjoy the show iffff she doesn't already own this stunning plant!

I neglected to mention, for all here, I also saw a new Gasteria hybrid (failed to bring my camera--stupid!) yesterday, called 'Silver Sheen.' It's a robust, slightly textured spiral-er. A combination of soft light green and silver tones. The older specimen I saw was solid-colored on the top, with the undersides of the leaves having a subtle striping that I'd maybe compare to the striping you might see on G. 'Little Warty,' but less bold. This description is probably clear as mud. Anyway, I didn't have the cash for the plant, nor was I crazy over it, but I bought a small pup, which hardly resembles its adult counterpart and looks not only more striped, but more silver than the adult plant I saw. It's not a heavily textured or thick, robust plant anywhere near the extent of 'Little Warty'; it has somewhat thin leaves that are stiff and barely textured. Just not something I'd seen before.

I also saw what was labeled as a large hybrid of G. 'Superbum' that looked to me like the union of 'Superbum' and a Pachy. It's leaves are fat, comparable to a Pachy, but I'd say maybe slightly flatter on the top of the rosette, and the color was spot-on with 'Superbum.' A friend has it, so I have two leaves, and I look forward to see what'll come of them.

This post was edited by teatree on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 12:50

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 12:47PM
Beachplants(Z11)

ok...same comment ...Colleen...blah, blah..very nice! hehehe!

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:13PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

That got my head a little twisted too. LOL. It has many days of aloe loveliness ahead of it. I am feeling aloe envy.....just a little.

lovely, Colleen.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 3:25PM

I wish it were a frequent pupper, but apparently it isn't fast to sucker. That's about the only negative for it I can see! Beautiful plant.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 8:45PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Where did you find it?

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 8:52PM

The supplier for Portland Nursery is Fleetfoot & Foulweather. The owner, whose name I think I remember hearing is Doug, brings in some real beauties. We're really fortunate.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 8:57PM
cactusmcharris

Colleen, so it's going to be species over hybrids, is it? I used to do that in San Diego, but I haven't the room anymore, so I'm going towards the lab rat Aloes.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:22PM

Well, it may be; I don't know! Sure is fun doing it this way, but I can appreciate both routes. I'll take whatever pretties strike my fancy.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 1:14AM
More Discussions
Any ideas on what this is?
Hi everyone!! I just acquired this, I'm thinking thinking...
LilBit7765
Is it ok to plant this in the ground?
It's opuntia englmanii in the clay based houston soil....
spikef35
Lithops wound
what is this? What should I do?
Celeste Jackson
What kind of Succulent is this?
I've been trying to figure this out for a while but...
yonatin
Any experience with black spots in jade when pruning?
Anyone seen this? Fresh cut... Some said on another...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
Sponsored Products
Hampton Bay Gazebos 10 ft. x 10 ft. Arrow Gazebo Brown/tan GGHL00019
Home Depot
Permafresh Mattress Protector Multicolor - 2041769
$16.00 | Hayneedle
Belham Living Richmond Deluxe Side Table - RT404-LAUAN
$49.98 | Hayneedle
Good Ideas Natural Coco Fiber Compost Additive - CC4
$29.99 | Hayneedle
ATG Electronics Path & Landscape Lights 90-Watt Outdoor Black LED Canopy Light
Home Depot
Belham Living Richmond Deluxe Adirondack Chair and Ottoman with Side Table 3 pc.
$254.94 | Hayneedle
PicnicPal Grill Tools 36 in. x 22 in. x 25 in. Food Protecting Tent PP-100
$29.99 | Home Depot
Educational Insights GeoSafari Jr. Talking Bug Net - EI-5264
$29.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™