Let's see your windows

ctreeteac(Zone 8b; rain-spewing Oregon)April 16, 2013

Let's see your best windows. With a teeny bit of spring sunshine, they brighten the room...or the yard.

Here are a few of my own.

H. cooperi var. truncata

H. cooperi var. cooperi

H. cooperi var. leightonii

H. retusa var. suberecta (though often seen as H. turgida var. suberecta)

I'd love to see your guys' beauties looking like glass.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b

I think I have the plant in the first picture, can you tell me how to take care of them, not a lot of info on the Internet. Thanks grant

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 7:51AM
ctreeteac(Zone 8b; rain-spewing Oregon)

Sure, I can explain for you what I do. Not much! They're shade or part shade plants, and these that are windowed and have transparency I find to be more delicate--doesn't take much sunshine for them to start to turn red, which appeals to some and not to others. I have most of my Haws in the house, except during the really cloudy days of winter, when they go in the greenhouse to receive more light in order to avoid them starting to stretch and lose their form. These are by a south-facing window, and they receive nice soft morning light. During the hot days of summer we get a lot of direct sun coming in that window all day, and at that point I tend to shut the sheer curtains until the heat of the day has passed, because it's my preference to keep these guys looking green.

I water thoroughly when the soil is basically dry. Some Haworthia I find like a little bit more water than others, and these I never let go dry long. (Granted, they need good well-draining soil.) With other Haworthia I decrease watering a bit during the heat of summer--because these are winter growers--but unlike what most do, I just haven't done that that with these plants shown and, for me, they really haven't lost their plumpness during summer inside the house. The last plant pictured in particular I find has shriveled leaves when I cut back water at any point and let it go dry a day or so, so I know I give it more water than others might.

The first plant is just a gem. I wanted it so badly, I can't tell ya. I hope yours does well for you.

This post was edited by teatree on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 12:35

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 12:30PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

Those window plants are so cool!!!

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 2:28PM
fakechuchi(7)

Yay! I can finally share something, I have windows!

This is my H. cooperi var truncata, up close

But it's actually only this big lol

H. maughanii truncata

H. cooperi dielsiana

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 4:05PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

When I first saw the title, I said to myself, "Self, I don't have windows for plants so why bother." Needless to say, I am glad I ventured to take a look. You all have very nice Haws and the photography is wonderful. You have to love windows!!!!!

now, if anyone has some different names for these, please come forward. I won't be upset.... promise!

I believe this one sometimes is called H. truncata v maughanii

If someone might help with a name for this.... please!

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 4:29PM
Beachplants(Z11)

Lovely Haws!

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 4:46PM

Such nice plants, you guys! Love that H. cooperi dielsiana!

H. springbokvlakensis is to die for. Can't wait to see how that one grows up, Howard. And gosh, love comptoniana. Wish I'd find one. And great truncatas; I didn't manage to get my two small ones photographed decently yesterday.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 4:50PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Colleen, my friend at he greenhouse near Lansing has tons of windowed Haws.... next trip I'm taking my camera so all of you can share...

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 5:44PM
reggie

Just beautiful everyone. Love me some Haworthias!!! I have some but not with windows that can compare to those. Bravo to you all.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 9:30PM
kathi_mdgd

The only thing in my windows are African violets,in the bay window,and some kind of tall thin leaved plants in the west window.I can never remember the name of them,or even if I know it.Will have to post a picture of them for an id.

I like all the ones shown here so far.Most of my plants are grown outside.
kathi

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 4:33PM

Oh, that's not what I mean, Kathi. :) I mean the windows of like a Haworthia. The translucent parts where light streams through and creates a glowing effect. No need to worry about what's inside or out.

I'd love to see your friends' Haw collection, Howard. A lot of us would enjoy that sometime.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 4:39PM
fakechuchi(7)

I agree with teatree on the H. springbokvlakensis. And I like the H. retusa var. suberecta. I don't have dotted haworthias!

"Thou shall not covet thy neighbour's haworthia" is not in the list. I checked!

This post was edited by fakechuchi on Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 13:55

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 8:37PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

There must be one of you that has a possible ID for this Haworthia... you sure you don't know what it is????

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 8:17AM
fakechuchi(7)

Okay, I'll take a shot, since it looks like the one in my short list when I went haworthia crazy last December. Probably a Haworthia turgida var. longibracteata?

Argh, It looks magnificent.

Pagan

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 12:10PM

I really don't know, Howard. I wish I did. But I like it. It's nicely windowed. I'd adopt it. I can snoop around today and see if I find anything similar, but I doubt I'd be the one to find a match.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 1:16PM
kathi_mdgd

Thanks teatree for the explanation.Takes this old brain awhile to figure things out sometimes.LOL

Howard I don't know what that is ,but I sure do like it,as well as a lotof the others in this post.I do have some haworthias,but photobucket is still not my friend.I need to find another hosting site for my photos.
TFS everyone.
kathi

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 3:50PM
kathi_mdgd

Thanks teatree for the explanation.Takes this old brain awhile to figure things out sometimes.LOL

Howard I don't know what that is ,but I sure do like it,as well as a lotof the others in this post.I do have some haworthias,but photobucket is still not my friend.I need to find another hosting site for my photos.
TFS everyone.
kathi

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 3:51PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

While this is a sidebar to this thread, might I ask, Kathi, what problems you have with Photobucket? I must say after they changed the format, it took me a bit to figure things out but now I'm back to square one and things are fine... so maybe I can help you.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 4:06PM
kaktuskris(5)

Here are some Windows, but not on Haworthia...

This is Peperomia ferreyrae.

Christopher

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 5:18PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

They are run of the mill. I almost did not want to show them in this illustrious crowd, but I still like them plenty. And I love both of these pictures.

But This little thing has so much presence for being so tiny.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 8:43PM
fakechuchi(7)

Run of the mill?! Wantonamara, it has red bits! How does it do that? Is that a light thing or does that specific species just randomly turn red? The pictures are very good, showing the windows quite well.

Also, my H. cooperi dielsiana did something shocking---it flowered. It's almost done now and I don't know what to do. Should I clip off the stem or will it dislodge itself on its own?

Pagan

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 9:02PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I think the red is because they got winter sun and cool temperatures outside most of the winter for at least part of the day (morning and late afternoon).. They are under a porch roof but the sun is low in the winter and it gets more of it.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 9:42PM

The stress color red is a lovely sunshine effect. Some find it delightful. I try to avoid it, but I'm a nut for green.

I usually hold on to the plant and gently yank out (I know "gently" and "yank" suggest two different things, haha) the expired bloom stalk when the flower show is about over. Alternatively, some people would rather their Haworthias not bloom, but instead put their energy toward growing, and they yank the flower stalk when it's first emerging (the flowers aren't impressive, and I admit I've done that before).

But it's probably safest just to wait until the stalk is dying out, as I suppose you could have an accident with the yanking and break a leaf on the plant while holding on. If you leave the flower stalk alone after flowering, it will eventually die out until it's brittle--hollow, almost--and can easy be pulled out of the plant. I know a lot of people cut off the majority of the stem once flowers have expired, and then wait for the remainder of the stalk to go brittle so it can be easily pulled.

Mara, I don't know how you could not want to post those pictures. The H. cooperi looks fantastic. It's not as though I have any super-special Haws, either. Mine are all pretty run-of-the-mill too.

I've been wondering, Mara, has your Haworthia you bought, oh, maybe last fall doing well still? I can't recall if it was a H. bolusii or similar in hairy-looking nature, but I remember it was adorable. I hope it has done really well for you.

This post was edited by teatree on Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 23:04

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 10:55PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Yes my H. bolusii is doing fine.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 23:48

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 11:13PM

So glad to hear it!

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 11:16PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 12:35PM
hijole(9 Sunny California)

Umm... I don't think I saw one window in this thread, lol... But a lot of great comments. Enjoying everyone's garden tips.

Greg

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:23AM

Howard, I happened to see a Haworthia emelyae var. multifolia this afternoon! It was a match for yours. For what that's worth.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:47AM
noki

H. cooperi truncata is always easy to show the windows

This post was edited by noki on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 2:16

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 2:15AM
noki

H. cooperi venusta is kinda fuzzy

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 2:17AM
noki

H. bayeri has some classy matte windows

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 2:21AM
noki

bought some new "Toes", they always lose the neat habit

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 2:24AM

Ooooooooh you lucky thing! H. cooperi venusta is so awesome! One day I will get one. Windows AND fuzzyness.

And the others are superb. Your truncata is really looking beautiful there. That photograph trumps mine. It's like glass.

And the 'toes' are so precious. I've never had the guts to get some, but with a greenhouse, I am really tempted now.

This post was edited by teatree on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 2:26

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 2:25AM
hanzrobo(11)

Very nice windows, everyone! Congrats on a great thread, Colleen! Here's my addition... unfortunately, many of my Haws are in big bins that I cannot move to position them in the sun.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 2:27AM

Aww, I'm sorry for everyone that you can't get those windows pictured right now--understandable, though. I should have considered those with Haws in large containers! You could certainly post them without their windows highlighted, though. ;)

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 2:38AM
noki

Hard to figure out how to show Lithops windows in a pic... but I gave it a try

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 2:41AM

And you succeeded!

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 2:42AM
cameracassidy

Wow! So beautiful! This was such a great idea to have people submit images of see through succulents with light coming through. I absolutely love it! Now I just need to get one of these so I can share in the fun :)

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 10:53PM
hanzrobo(11)

I'm bringing it back. Where's my Colleen?
H. pygmeae

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 11:03PM
hanzrobo(11)

H. tessellata

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 11:04PM
hanzrobo(11)

some type of H. cymbiformis?

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 11:07PM
hanzrobo(11)

H. emelyae var. comptoniana parts after surgery... thanks Howard

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 11:10PM
hanzrobo(11)

Discarded Lithops leaf

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 11:11PM
hanzrobo(11)

I ordered a flashlight with a fiber-optic extension just so I could take photos like this. So far, not so good. I think I need a professional.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 11:15PM

Woo! Colleen's over here recovering from the flu! Don't get too close...

I have great hopes for those H. emelyae leaves! I don't have great hopes for my own Haw leaves I removed...I'll have to try again...but for you, I have hope. And not even at all secretly selfish hope, although I love that plant and need to get myself one. :)

Don't tell me those are recent acquisitions, Ryan? heehee

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 11:27PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Ryan, you must post your progress. Here's hoping for 110% success!!!!! I have another large Haworthia... I may have to send it to you for surgery! It's the one on the right, as if you couldn't tell...LOL

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 7:45AM
Neysa

Just browsing along and came across Show your windows............wow, you guys really have some nice pictures!!!!

Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 5:12AM
paul_(z5 MI)

Well as I must have missed this thread the first time around ...

Haw. emeylae (an older pic as I was too lazy to trot over and take current pic)

In summer "tan" mode

Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 12:55PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

The closest i have to a window plant is the common hawthoria in the dish garden, and thats not even close.......

Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 1:58PM
camellia1_gw

Great plants everyone!

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 8:43AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Here's some that survived temps in the teens under a sheet. Hopefully that won't keep happening, extremely unusual here! Haworthias are definitely not tropical divas though.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 9:13AM
cactusmcharris

I wish you'd not only see my windows, but do them too.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 9:13AM
cactusmcharris

Tiffany,

They look like they'll do OK - these plants can handle somewhat surprisingly lowish temps if they're dry, a trait they share with lots of other succs.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 9:19AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Nothing like your awesome collection, but TYVM! That's what the excellent advice given here said, seems to be working, for what such measures can do combined with this weather. There's some dead plants in this thing, but Haworthias in particular look OK, 6 diff ones (but not all window type - wow this forum is awful for enabling!) I haven't watered this for about 6-7 weeks now.

Tomorrow is designated for a drink - very warm nights predicted until Wed, a couple nights flirting with frost, then back to spring tease.

And BTW, the metal objects are to hold the sheet up above most of the plants a bit. It's hard to get a good pic of this thing with all the white paint around it.

Did you find anyone to wash your windows yet? That's no small task - wow!

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 12:17PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Here's an update of one of my Haw's that I posted some time ago that is now growing a second pup on an old flower spike. And, I see a new spike just emerging to the right... could we have triplets????!!!!!

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 1:02PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

I don't have an ID for this but assume it is a hybrid of H. truncate and H. maughani. Any help with a proper name?????

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 1:05PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

After seeing the beautiful results Ryan (hanzrobo) shared with us of his seedlings, I thought I'd take a chance and share my meager presentation. These are truncate crosses.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 1:08PM
movenpick(MA)

Biker - I've never seen a pup grow from a flower spike! It's very interesting. Your hybrid does seem to be a cross between a truncata and maughanii - not sure if there are any specific names for these hybrids. Your seedlings also look great!

To contribute to this thread, here is my H. truncata before it lost all it's roots this winter. Hopefully it will grow them back this spring.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 1:39PM
salt_creep

Here are some of mine:

H. (truncata x maughanii) x 'Fired Iron' hybrid

'Mirror Ball'

Another truncata x maughanii hybrid

This post was edited by salt_creep on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 20:14

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 3:49PM
salt_creep

H. 'Toby'

H. truncata reverse variegated

H. cooperi variegated

H. 'Window Light'

H. 'Cuspidata' reverse variegated

This post was edited by salt_creep on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 20:28

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 3:56PM
Neysa

sure am loving all these pictures. Those Haw plants fascinate me. Are they easy to grow. They look so delicate. Could they withstand the hot weather in California and then when it gets down in the 30's?

Neysa

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 4:55PM
nomen_nudum

H.cymbformis reddii

H. magnifica v.major ? In survival mode after about three seaons of neglect.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 6:19PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Slat, your Haws are unbelievable. I would love to know some names and where you may have purchased them... I know that's a lot to ask....

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 7:15PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Salt, your windows are truly amazing, Thank you. I too am curious about the names.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 7:54PM
Sundewd(9B)

Here is my Baby Toes

Big 'ole Lithops that could use a drink

H. Truncata v. Tenuis

H. Cooperii

These might be Haworthia?

Either H. 'Hummel's Hybrid' or 'Many''s Hybrid' as far as I can tell

H. Tesselata

H. Cymbiformis v. Obtusa

H. Marginata

H. Fat Retusa

H. Mirabulis Mundula

I also have a Mirabulis v. Badia that I apparently do not have a picture of.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 8:14PM
salt_creep

I've edited my posts to add the names, sorry about that! :)
Bikerdoc, I buy some plants from online (eBay, etc) or at cactus shows, and the 'Toby' is my own hybrid that I grew from seed. The variegated truncata was a gift from my brother, who grows quite a few of them.

Here's another nice window plant:

Bulbine bruynsii

This post was edited by salt_creep on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 20:50

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 8:32PM
salt_creep

Here are plants that are mostly windows: Lithops!

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 8:38PM
salt_creep

Hi Sundewd, your H. mirabilis mundula might actually be a H. pygmaea (it's got the nice rough texture on the leaves). H. mirabilis mundula has smoother leaves with jagged-edged windows.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 8:46PM
Sundewd(9B)

Well, I was actually struggling to recall the name of it, tbh. It was one I picked up at a store years back so it very well could have been mislabled from the start. Thanks for the name tip! :)

Turns out I have several more I haven't pictured yet.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 10:15PM
cactusmcharris

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 11:20PM
Neysa

loving all your pictures

Neysa

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 11:40PM

What're all those little Aloe (?) leaves you've got going in that last pot, Jeff? A. arenicola? I also wanna get closer to that Gasteria in the center, and to its neighbors, the silvery little Gasteria twins. And that gorgeous variegated H. maughanii? Impressing everyone.

My truncata needs to hurry up and produce some offsets. They get so awesome when they do.

Really sweet H. cooperi, Sundewd. A variety I'm keeping my eye out for. I could have 400 different H. cooperis and not tire of them.

That is some incredible collection, Salt. H. 'Mirror Ball' is the biggest dream for me. I've seen it make its rounds on eBay, and I gotta say it's painful not to bid.

This post was edited by teatree on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 2:24

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 2:20AM
hablu(z8 Netherlands)

Here's a Senecio showing it's windows in the sunlight

greets Harry

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 7:30AM
hablu(z8 Netherlands)

and a little Peromia columella

Harry

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 10:13AM
paul_(z5 MI)

Salt Creep, you have some truly amazing plants! Absolutely LOVE the H. truncata reverse variegated, and that H. 'Cuspidata' reverse variegated! Never seen nor heard of Bulbine bruynsii before. That thing is awesome! How tall is it?

Gorgeous pot of Lithops. If I ever manage to master them, I would want a selection like yours!

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 12:37PM
Sundewd(9B)

I have just come to understand my lithops, having successfully grown them through a season and a half now. :) That seems to be the key with these rock plants... Have to keep them alive for a season or two so you can actually get a chance to learn about them. Unfortunately, all the literature on the web can't help you much with these plants, because while for me they may grow all year round, for you they may only grow during summer, spring or fall. Perhaps in the dead of winter. They are funny that way. The argyroderma still have ne stumped though... No matter what season it is, here's what happens: they shrivel to the point where I think "surely they need water". So I give them a few sprays from a mist bottle. They proceed to either. A.) Not respond. Or B.) Rot and die. I am convinced they don't really grow in the wild and some lab somewhere makes them as some sort of sick joke. D.

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 8:35PM
salt_creep

Paul, thanks for the compliments! The Bulbine bruynsii is about 3 inches tall... it's a winter-growing succulent that loses its leaves in the summer, and survives underground with tuberous roots. It's one of the more difficult species to grow. I only just got it this past fall and I sure hope it lives and comes back next fall!

With Lithops, you just have to keep them dry all winter until the new leaves emerge and absorb the old pair, then water them now and then during spring and early fall (just light spraying during the heat of summer, if it gets very hot where you live). And they need good air circulation all year.

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 9:56PM
salt_creep

I love how these windows look like Martian eyes.

Haworthia 'Army'

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 10:03PM
Sundewd(9B)

Here's a few more. Looking a bit rough from being outdoors all winter.

This has been inside though. It got wet by accident. I'm gonna let it dry so those layers on the smaller one will fall away.

And more baby toes, young clustering division from the ones shown earlier.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 11:15AM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Here is one of my Haworthia... not exactly "windowed". I am not certain that the name is correct, so any other suggestions are welcome. Thx, Howard

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 2:41PM

Well, it's a beautiful Haworthia alright, Howard. One I'd like to find.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 8:59PM
More Discussions
Echeveria propagation and soil help for newbie
Hi! I'm new to this forum and new to raising succulents....
lavendarlilies
Waves and Ripples: A Study in Contrast
My Waves and Ripple Jades side by side... Christopher...
kaktuskris
What is this and how do I propagate it?
I found this little bud/pup at school the other day...
Alex
Gollum Surprise
Gollum leaf I came across tonight. Christopher
kaktuskris
Is this a Sempervivum?
I need help identifying this plant. I like succulents...
yonatin
Sponsored Products
Zuo Union Square Natural Bar Chair
Euro Style Lighting
Philantha Wall Mirror
$139.99 | zulily
Rechargable Stainless Steel Warming Tray - Medium (8"D)
$79.95 | FRONTGATE
Darlee Catalina Swivel Rocker Chair - DL803-3/108
$294.99 | Hayneedle
Makamani Design Burned Orange Rectangular: 2 Ft. x 3 Ft. Rug
$59.00 | Bellacor
Hampton Bay Wall Mounted 1-Light Outdoor Zinc Wall Lantern HSP1691A
$29.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™