For Al, ...those mysterious Asclepiads

cactuspolecat(Tasmania Aust)December 2, 2005

Al, these are the two asclepiads hiding in the background of my former Gymno post, and you asked to see a pic.

I think these are now known as Larryleachia, though my tags still reflect the old name of Trichocaulon.

The larger one of the two is one I bought in 1982 as T. dinteri, a name synonymous with T. clavatum. The other plant that looks like a young Hoodia, is T. flavum, I only bought this one a couple of months ago.

So, for your pleasure...

Trichocaulon flavum and T. clavatum..

T. clavatum in flower earlier this year..

T. clavatum in flower in 1982 the year I bought it. Grown in bright sunlight, it soon loses its lush green look!.

Enjoy, CP

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ariole(z7DE)

What a beauty! Almost a quarter century in your possession. I agree, it looks identical to plants bearing the more modern name "Larryleachia". The exposed roots add wonderful character to your prize plant. Of my two seedlings, only the one bloomed this autumn. Thanks for taking the time to dig up the archival photos.

Al

Bookmark   December 2, 2005 at 7:25PM
deefar(zone 5 NY)

I have been wanting to to give one of these a try. Are they difficult at all? What kind would be the best to start out with? Yours are beautiful CP.

Dawn

Bookmark   December 3, 2005 at 4:47PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Sutialbly ugly and very cool!

Bookmark   December 4, 2005 at 7:50AM
cactuspolecat(Tasmania Aust)

Dawn, T. clavatum is surprisingly easy, (and I'm assuming that flavum is also). I just grow it in my regular cactus mix and I keep it dry for the winter. During it's dormant period it shrinks quite a bit, and the pups look like they're going to fall off, but come spring, it's quick to take up moisture fatten up again.
This plant is now producing three new pups. The pups don't readily root down if removed, so they are best left on the parent plant. Flowers come late Autumn to early Winter.

Cheers for now, CP

Bookmark   December 5, 2005 at 2:43PM
deefar(zone 5 NY)

Thanks CP. I am now on the hunt for one....after all, Jerry is still in NYC. How cols hardy are they?

Dawn

Bookmark   December 5, 2005 at 4:22PM
mrbrownthumb(z5 Chicago)

I can't say anything other than "WOW".

Bookmark   December 6, 2005 at 2:22AM
More Discussions
Need ID on a plant in South Maui
After driving past this area or South Maui for at least...
chisue
Id this one for me please!
The tall one in the back, thanks!
vngavnga
Bunny Ears:)
They've been getting tall and skinny so I got a light....
cooperdr_gw
Greenhouse at dawn (photo)
Here's a photo of my greenhouse about twenty minutes...
cactus_cowboy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™