Anyone have any advice for this interesting plant?

LeighlaApril 21, 2014

Hi all! I'm to this forum and sort of new to growing plants in general.

Over the past year I've really taken a liking to cacti and succulents. We've got a number on our terrace here in Rome, Italy. I leave all of them out over the winter since it hardly ever gets below freezing temps.

I've got this plant (below) that I'm not quite sure what it is, or if it normally looks like this (v leggy?). It's always been sitting on a windowsill that barely gets much sun, and I have a feeling it needs more than it's getting.

So my question for you is.. how do I take better care of this plant? Should I move it to the terrace where it will get around 5-6 hours of direct sunlight/per day? And should I cut it back?

Thanks very much, and happy easter!
Leighla

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Yes! Whack it! You have an Aeonium atropurpureum or similar that is old and has grown tall and is in desperate need of pruning. I would all of the arms back so the heads have about 4" of attached stem. Allow to callous for a week and replant. The remaining stems may grow new heads.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 8:13AM
Leighla

Bikerdoc, thanks for your advice - I took it. :) Not so pretty, but I suppose it's better than how it was!

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 12:33PM
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

You DID keep the heads (rosettes) to plant, right? =)
Good for you for being so brave to whack!

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 4:40PM
Leighla

Rosemariero, I've got them yes, but haven't planted them.. not sure what do with them as there are so many! Don't have the space.. I may have to give some to our neighbors. :)

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 5:40AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Is now the time to prune these? Mine could use a trim, but they have more or less ceased growth now.

Josh

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 12:07PM
KittieKAT

Looked kinda like a shchorzcof (LOL excuse my horrible predictive text and my lack of spelling) haha, plant the heads or Send some to ME for my collection of succulents!

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 3:11AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Aeonium arboreum 'Zwartkop' , Dutch for "black head". Also seen as German name 'Schwartzkopf' or 'Schwarzkopf' with same meaning.

These are winter growers and summer dormant--though if summer temperatures are very mild (low 60's), they keep growing. The best time to whack them here is in early fall, right before they start growing again as summer head subsides.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 1:10PM
More Discussions
Aloe ID
Anyone here know the ID of this aloe? This is over...
russ_fla
Cactus ID?
Purchased this one without a tag. It's about 14"...
fireweed22
Need a good place to buy Mesembs and cheridopsis
Hi folks, Looking for a place that has a good selection...
Bama_Joe
Do you have crazy sedums
So do you i have some sedums in a pot golden sedum...
spikef35
Need help IDing a hawthoria.
Any ideas? A penny used as a scale marker. Grantgarden2...
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™