drought gardening

napapen(ca 15)February 28, 2014

I am a master gardener in Napa County and this past week we had a class on the resources for California gardeners in the drought year.

This is mostly information for N. California. It is posted for
anyone to read at the UCextention web sites. It is a very serious condition and even with the current rains it won't solve the problem right away. So in addition to being a California gardener we need to be smart gardeners

One interesting thing - we are the only Mediterranean Climate in the world who has an obsession with lawns - it has long been my goal to deLawn California!!

Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Min3 South S.F. Bay CA

Thanks for the info Penny! I want to learn all I can about gardening under these new circumstances and would appreciate any other input you think is important and helpful.
I'd also be interested to hear how you are gardening these days.
Min

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 6:53PM
napapen(ca 15)

I plan to garden very conservatively this summer. Plan to solarize the vegetable garden except for one maybe two beds. The plan is to plant only 4 tomatoes all the same one and one zucchini. Last year I had 13 tomatoes, eggplant etc etc. I also just went out and put a metal rod into my swales which do have water in them and they still have a clay barrier about 12 inches deep so the water has not gone into all layers. Penny

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 7:35PM
napapen(ca 15)

almost forgot, I have been collecting rainwater for several years but this year finally my tanks are all full and I have all kinds of pans, pails etc out collecting the water. I have my yard guy pour it into the swales as these are areas that have been planted.

Penny

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 8:21PM
More Discussions
Potatoes from Van Bloem Gardens
Does anyone know what potatoes are in the Van Bloem...
pbsjones
Ground cover for erosion control?
I am looking to plant a hillside with something that...
Sabine Halfhill
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™