Which is messier: arbutus or fejoia?

datura222February 27, 2013

I am slowly narrowing down different trees for our yard. We have a spot we would like a tree to go, but it might be a few feet away from a swimming pool when the canopy gets full grown.

One of the options the plant finder search from sunset recommended was fejoia.

Is it wishful thinking to put either an arbutus marina or a fejoia sellowiana? We have an arbutus out front and it doesn't seem to make too much of mess...a few strawberries here and there etc...it is such a beautiful tree, and would be my preference but it is a small tree right now...so maybe the lack of mess observation is inaccurate?

I have bambooo going closer to the pool and will not be planting any trees as close by as the bamboo is, but we still want an interesting tree for our backyard and we do have a pool cover.

Any opinions would be great!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sara Malone Zone 9b

The Feijoia drops a LOT of fruit - I have half a dozen, all planted in areas where I can just let it sit underneath on the mulch. I would not want one near a pool or over a patio or driveway. I have a friend across town who has the largest A.'Marina' I have ever seen planted next to her pool and she has never complained about it. I like the Feijoia very much but to my eye there is no comparison - the Arbutus 'Marina' makes a much more striking specimen. The bark alone is worth it!
Sara

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 3:56PM
tony469(modesto zone 9)

Personally a palm would be a better choice by a pool..arbutus and fejoia both produce flowers..fruit..and leaves dropping..but atleast not all fejoia produce fruit and the ones that do are tasty

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 10:21PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

We have sago palms by our pool, and you can not imagine the junk that they shed into the pool! Expensive trees, and we live with them. Seedless somethings would be better in my opinion. Palms have a way of spreading their kind all through your yard in places you never thought they would.

Suzi

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 4:14PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Palms are actually a great choice by a pool, just have to select the correct cultivar. Sagos are actually not palms, but in the Cycad family. I have a lovely Kentia palm (Howea forsteriana) that drapes over my pool, and it is tidy, provides some nice shade, does not drop anything, and does not spread like other types of palms, such as the pesky Mexican Fan palm (Washingtonia robusta) will do. Other palm options are Majesty, Triangle and Foxtail palms. I would pick a palm that does not drop a lot of seeds (like the Queen palm, although lovely, and I have many in my yard, none near my pool). Segos are nice but they have leaves that end in a pretty sharp point, so not so pleasant rubbing up against or bumping into one while walking around the pool in your swimsuit.

Patty S.

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 5:24PM
More Discussions
Potatoes from Van Bloem Gardens
Does anyone know what potatoes are in the Van Bloem...
pbsjones
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
Western Sword Fern (Polysticum munitum) very brown
My Western Sword Ferns are looking very brown. I really...
kookoo2
California to be a tropical climate within 50 years.
I heard that on the news last night. By 2060 Soucal...
stanofh
Ground cover for erosion control?
I am looking to plant a hillside with something that...
Sabine Halfhill
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™