Growstone

bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MIApril 21, 2013

I am working an orchid show this weekend with a friend of mine from Ohio. He has brought, a new for him, product called Growstone ( http://www.growstone.com/). It is something orchid people use for semi hydroponics instead of Aliflor(clay fired round balls). It is very light weight and I am going to try it in my mix as a substitute for some other grit material.

Your thoughts

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrlike2u(**)

Like most " New Ideas" this product remains limited for availability in an age where some still cant find turface to suggest re-fired recycled glass justifying the search for it might be a bit trying for some.

However a very reasonable price comparison to pumice stone at the same yield % found it to have a very low powder dust release. Although very sharp low dust sift release from a faster easier sift that can feel as it might cut the unprotected hand is the same damaging effect as a salt scrub Matched air flow from a substrate and moisture retention I dont think price point alone will be the next best pumice replacement.

Although if re-fired glass availability is available and at a closer distance in more manageable sized pieces It's use should be come more wide spread but thinks availability will be an objective for some. Certainly would allow more than one person to expand into the more uncommon succulent plant growing.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 9:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gmaculata(5)

I have used this in my mixes for Haworthia and like it very much. I would recommend rinsing and not siting to avoid the dust. Cheers

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:04AM
More Discussions
Repotted Euphorbia
I think it is an Euphorbia horrida, but not sure about...
hablu
13 year old cactus with no roots
I have had a cactus now for around 13 or so years and...
Sophie Julia
Cerus peruvianus question
Cerus peruvianus questions Notice the white color,is...
spikef35
Jades Surviving, but not Thriving
Hello! New here, but I've been lurking for the last...
andelice
Just received large order of Cheridopsis and need soil mix recommend
Any recommendations regarding a soil mix for Cheridopsis?...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™