Looking for Murcott Mandarin (Florida Honey Tangerine)

yiplaFebruary 19, 2013

Hi all,

I am looking to grow a Murcott Mandarin tree, which I think is also known as a Florida Honey Tangerine. I can't find this type of tree anywhere for sale in CA. Four Winds has it listed in their varieties but not in their online shop and they say they are not going to be restocking this variety.

I have had this variety back when I lived in NY and used it for juicing. It is incredibly juicy!! And the deep orange color is divine. The taste is great, too.

Can anyone tell me where I can find a tree to grow, or recommend something very similar... Color, juiciness and taste are my main concerns.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sautesmom

Lowe's usually has a good selection of citrus, or if you are in the Sacramento area, Green Acres Nursery also has a good selection of citrus. Try calling them.

Carla in Sac

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 1:07PM
Fascist_Nation(9b)

I'd rather have a Tango mandarine--derived from and tastes like a Murcott, but "seedless!"

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 5:33PM
Starfinder

Check you local Costco. I'm in LA and just picked a Murcott in my local Costco. Only $18 for a 5 foot tree. It was from Willits and Newcomb nursery (I believe they are in the Bakersfield).

Tony

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 10:52PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

yipla, if you can't find one at your local Costco, see if Monterey Bay Nursery is propagating the Murcott. If so, see what nurseries in your area order from Monterey Bay (they are a wholesale nursery, BUT if you live close by, you can drive over and buy direct.) If you can't find the Murcott, consider the Page mandarin. Also extremely juicy, dark orange and exceptionally flavored. My favorite mandarin for juicing.

And, Fascist Nation, the Murcott is not the same variety as the W. Murcott Afourer, which is what you're thinking of when you're referring to the Tango mandarin, which an irradiated W. Murcott Afourer and seedless. It, too, is a very delicious mandarin, but a completely different variety that the Murcott. Confusing to be sure, but here's a link to the Murcott from UC Riverside's Citrus Variety Collection. Then, look up the A. Mrcott Afourer and the Tango, and you'll see. :-)

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Riverside Citrus Variety Collection: Murcott Mandarin

This post was edited by hoosierquilt on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 9:35

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 1:10AM
Starfinder

Second what Patty said. Found a tango recently in LA Osh for $20 from Four Winds. Very healthy plant. Osh has a good selection of citrus.

Tony

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 12:34AM
dukeoforange

Starfinder -- which OSH in LA did you visit? Never seen a tango at OSH ever ... and I've been to quite a few OSHs. Any other interesting finds at that store? Certain OSHs seem to have more citrus varieties than others. For instance the one in Pasadena has a lot, and I've also had good experiences with the one in Fountain Valley. I think it depends a lot on the manager ordering the trees, if he's into citrus or not.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
Does anyone know what this plant is?
I found it in Baja California. It had lovely pink trumpet...
pforrester
Orange tree questions re fruiting, blooming and harvesting
hi all, we moved to a place with a really old orange...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Nasturtiums and Cannabis
To avoid Nasturtiums taking over my garden next year...
patmonk
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™