First batch of BST eggs

beccalmtJuly 4, 2012

Hey, I have been trying to attract BST for the past 5 months and I finally have my first 6 eggs. Super excited!

I also had a large batch of Monarchs caterpillars that ate all of my milkweed leaves and had to do some research for something else they eat. I discovered summer squash they will eat in 5th instar (only) I had 16 caterpillars successfully pupate while squash being available to eat.I was really surprised of the success rate.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Congrats, congrats on the black swallowtail eggs!

I didn't know that monarchs would eat squash leaves in any instar, so thanks for the information!

The gulf frit and the zinnia are beautiful!

Sherry

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 7:12PM
beccalmt

I just took another look on fennel plant and its loaded with about 25 more eggs. I tried taken a photo of them all but didn't come out that great. Will post when they are bigger. Super excited, they will keep me busy while the milkweed grows back.

Yes the squash literally saved them from starving. I searched on this forum and one forum had a link to "Monarch watch" forum and had information about them eating squash.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 8:46PM
minrose(4Mn)

Congrats, how fun for you? I have been waiting for black swallowtail eggs/catepillars also, I checked my log from last year, I did not see any til July 20 so I am hoping in a couple weeks I will find some finally.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 7:00AM
terrene(5b MA)

Wow, 25 eggs! How wonderful! And very beautiful pic of butterfly and Zinnias!

BSTs are such fun and easy butterflies to raise, except for the ones that decide to over-winter which require a bit more maintenance (at least up here where we have loooong winters).

I hope to find some more Black Swallowtails. I've only raised 2 so far this year, and those were both collected as 5th instar cats that were on the Rue. I have numerous of their host plants, and can never find any larvae when I look.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 11:24PM
More Discussions
Is everyone ready for upcoming SPRING????
I am in Florida. I already made a flower bed inside...
angelimperfect36
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Florida Butterflies.
I have posted before. I live in Sarasota, Florida and...
jane__ny
Commercial grown Milkweed
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/02/27/mega-grower-color-spot-nursery-to-consider-growing-clean-chemical-free-milkweed/...
arkpollinator
Ordered seeds.
I ordered some seeds today and was wondering how I...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™