wisteria in orange/la counties

sf_rhinoFebruary 6, 2013

I have a friend getting married in Diamond Bar down in LA and she is hoping to schedule it while the wisteria is in bloom. Can any of you SoCal folk recommend the best months? I'd guess it blooms around the same time as up here but one never knows.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kittymoonbeam

Call the Huntington in San Marino to see if their early wisteria on the edge of the rose garden/ Japanese garden is in bloom. Descanso in La Canada has a pretty one in the rose garden but it blooms much later.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 11:20PM
kittymoonbeam

Is she looking to take pictures? The Huntington doesn't allow wedding photography but Descanso has a lovely space in the rose garden for weddings.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 11:22PM
onederw

There is a huge--as in ginormous--wisteria in Sierra Madre (not too far from Diamond Bar). How big? So big that the Guinness Book of Records has classified it as the World's Largest Blossoming Plant. (Go figure.) The city has built a festival around what they call the Lavender Lady. Last year the festival was on March 25. This year it's on St. Patrick's Day, March 17, but it's always held sometime in the late middle/early end of March. (Link to further info on the festival is attached.)
I'd suggest that your friend might want to zero in on a date in mid to late March, but microclimate is important. It might be worth a call to a large a reputable nursery in Diamond Bar (not a big box store) and ask when their wisteria will be in bloom.
Kay

Here is a link that might be useful: Sierra Madre Wisteria Festival

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
Western Sword Fern (Polysticum munitum) very brown
My Western Sword Ferns are looking very brown. I really...
kookoo2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™