Les Marbury

joraines(7 Upstate SC)January 11, 2013

Purchased a beautiful Les Marbury Camellia Japonica yesterday at Twin Bridges Nursery in Taylors, SC. Hoping to find the right spot for it in our creekside shade garden. And I hope it stays true to its variegated form. I am reading here that some revert to their solid-colored source plant. The second photo is of the camellia with a Cast Iron Plant (Aspidistra) and our new Old Man of the Oak glazed cement bird bath.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Very pretty and I like your bird bath too! The bloom reminds me of an Eleanor McCown Camellia that I used to have. The dogs killed it chasing squirrels though. While it lasted, it tended to have sports (on selected branches) that were all pink, all white or some unusual mix.

Bookmark   January 11, 2013 at 10:00PM
bethpierce77

Does anyone know the name of this camellia?

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 12:37AM
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Sorry I don't but it might be a japonica or a hybrid. Very pretty though. Most of the striped ones that I see are white with stripes but this one seems to be a faint pink with stripes. Do you have a picture of the bush in bloom too? Must be quite a sight!

Below is a link to the American Camellia Society's Encyclopedia with online camellia pictures. You can also look at pictures in camellia books at a library if no one else chimes in.

Here is a link that might be useful: ACS Encyclopedia Of Camellias

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 1:48PM
vmr423(Zone 8b, SC)

joraines, your 'Les Marbury' is beautiful. Yes, stripy camellias may sometimes revert, but often only one branch will be a solid color. And I've heard of camellias that are more variegated one year, then less variegated the next. When we fall for the variegations, we also have to put up with their variations.

bethpierce77, that's a beautiful camellia, and certainly deserves to be famous, but I don't know the name. What do you know about the plant? Where is it, how old is it, do all the blooms look pretty much like that, or is that an unusual flower for that plant?

Even though it is very lovely, it may not be a named cultivar.

The most similar variety I can think of is 'Roma Risorta', but it's much bolder (less shaded) with its stripes than your bloom, I think.

If you have more info, that may help someone on this list with an ID if it is a named variety.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 2:02PM
vmr423(Zone 8b, SC)

bethpierce77, I still don't know the name of your flower, but here's a photo of a camellia that you might like- I first made her acquaintance yesterday, and she is Camellia japonica 'Fran Boudolf'. You can't tell from the photo, but it is a miniature bloom. Perhaps the other flower is also?

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
Can Professor Charles Sargent be kept smaller?
I'm looking to plant my first camellia and have fallen...
oberci
jujujojo_gw
looking for a low growing 4ft. red Camellia
For zone 7b. What species will qualify ?
420benz
Problem with leaves
Camellia Japonica - Just received this plant as a gift...
mimichatte
Camellia Dying?
My cameliia was covered all winter with the white garden...
pattysheehan
Sponsored Products
Les Racines Floor Lamp
Lightology
White and Navy Modern Hotel 84-inch Curtain Panel Pair
Overstock.com
Elk Lighting Les Miserables Books Trinket Boxes - Set of 3 - 51-9536
$98.00 | Hayneedle
Elk Lighting 110-3L-ES 3 Light Pendant in Satin Nickel & Espresso Glass
Beyond Stores
Konitz Assorted Les Fleurs Chez Mugs - Set of 4 - 4411009003
$36.96 | Hayneedle