poppies and watsonia problems

jardinerowaFebruary 15, 2013

Hello,

I do pure container gardening and concerned with a box container of shirley poppies and a round container with watsonias. I planted them both in Oct of last year. I'm in San Diego zone 10 area.
So now it's Feb and the poppies were growing but they are getting yellowish leaves except for the newest ones. I thought I was watering too much but they are in containers and I figure I should water when the soil is dry at least an inch down right? Also they haven't bloomed yet or even thought about blooming which is strange since I sowed them from seed back in Sept/Oct. I am tempted to give some phosphorus and potassium fertilizer to speed up blooms because before too long it is going to be too warm for poppies anyway. But should I give them a tiny bit of nitrogen too? I don't want to sacrifice flowers but maybe nitrogen will help the leaf color?
My watsonia started coming up in Nov and each bulb has like 5 spear leaves but since the last month or so, I've noticed that the spear-like leaves have become yellowish except for the very middle of the spear leaves. Again, no signs of wanting to bloom with the watsonias...and what's with the color? Should I fertilize them too?
PLEASE HELP! I want them to be successful. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lgteacher(SCal)

Are they getting enough sun? What type of soil did you plant them in? Is the water draining through?

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 9:49AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Container plants do need a fertilizer program. Some potting mixes do contain a fertilizer package, but most are only good for about 3 months. Post this in the container growing forum for more help on container mixes and fertilization. Al

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 11:06AM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Mine are not ready to bloom. Not for another month or two. What kind of poppies did you plant? California poppies get a lot of yellow leaves at the base of the plant as the new leaves grow out.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 8:46PM
jardinerowa

They are shirley poppies. Maybe I'm just inpatient. I will keep waiting. Thanks!

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 6:55PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Yes, they will be a while yet. April and early May is the usual time for poppies to bloom. The watsonias are usually in late April as well.

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 1:52AM
jardinerowa

Thanks for the replies. At least I know that it still is too early for poppies and watsonia to bloom.
I guess since my ranunculus has been in bloom since January, I figured the poppies would be in bloom already; Of course this is the first year that I'm growing poppies from seed. Thanks!

Z

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
Sunset Magazine slowly being gutted
A real shame. I've been a subscriber for decades, ever...
jkom51
Need Giant Whitefly Locations in SoCal (Researcher)
Hello I am an Entomology Ph.D. student in need of some...
nebulusx
Sparrows
Photo of a nest of sparrows under my porch. There are...
tim45z10
Pride of Madeira PRUNING and question
Hi, Hope you can help. The net and Sunset's Garden...
piper101
Where in Southern CA can I buy a bag of Dried Calimyrna figs?
My closest stupid town has one supermarket chain and...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Sponsored Products
Runner: Istana Ink 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
Poppy Field Rug 8' x 11' - BLACK/WHITE
$2,300.00 | Horchow
Poppy Rug by Mat-The-Basics
$626.00 | Lumens
Grape Poppy Bathroom Mat
$16.99 | zulily
Field of Poppies Indoor Rug
Grandin Road
Altered State Psychedelic Skyline Multicolored Rug (5' x 7')
Overstock.com
Pure Shock Red 16.5-Inch Square Throw Pillow
$17.99 | Bellacor
Poppy Red Narrow Zig Zag Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™