Do yor blooms take forever to open?

meyermike_1micha(5)January 10, 2011

I just can not understand why my blooms, those round balls take forever to open?

They were developing back in September when the weather got colder. Slowly getting bigger but they are only about a half inch bigger. Is this normal, as if teh growth is has almost stopped or slowed down drmaticaly.

Is it possibly because I have them growing in much cooler conditions?

Please help. What can I do?

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

In what zone do you live and what varieties of camellia are we talking about, Mike? They may be doing fine but it depends. Camellia blooms develop around July and will open depending on the camellia variety. It sounds like yours are getting close to opening. I usually call it "close" when they get big and the petal colors are more apparent or obvious.

Sasanquas will open the flower buds earliest, somewhere between early Fall and early Winter, while Japonicas can start sometime in Fall but most bloom in winter or early Spring.

This is similar to what happens with azaleas, rhododendrons and hydrangeas. They all produce flower buds near the end of the summer but the flower buds do not open for months.

If your variety normally blooms at this time or later then I would not worry. But weather can affect the specific timing by weeks or more. I have a japonica that started opening buds just before things turned cold. Then it paused (no blooms) for more than a month and started blooming when the temperatures warmed up.

Some japonicas have been bred to bloom late so they will survive in cold zones like Zone 6. If yours is one of those, it may be a while before it blooms.

Bookmark   January 10, 2011 at 7:02PM
butterfly4u

Mike,
Japonicas usually bloom in spring.(generally)
Sasanquas (which are the cooler weather ones) usually bloom in fall.
Then there are literally hundreds of cultivars that all have their own specific times for everything.
If they are young trees, you can't necessarily count on them to bloom when you bought them from a nursery and they were in bloom.
The nurseries make them bloom so you will buy them.
Generally, all camellias get their buds the summer before they are suppose to bloom for the next blooming season.
Real cold weather can totally ruin a camellia bud and keep it from blooming.
Have you ever been to a camellia show?
You should go. They are usually held in the early spring and all the beautiful flowers from all the different camellias are labeled.
Show blooms are kept in greenhouses under ideal conditions, well most of them.
If you bought a cold hardy camellia, I'll bet it blooms for you in March or April.
Please post a pic of the bloom when it does bloom, I would love to see it.
I absolutley love camellias, they are worth the wait.

Bookmark   January 11, 2011 at 1:15AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I believe that Mike has japonicas, if I recall. It's natural for them to develop their flowers over a very long period of time, practically throughout an entire winter. The buds, even when swollen and showing color, are very cold hardy (relatively speaking).

Bookmark   January 14, 2011 at 4:21PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Just what I needed to hear Rhizzo, Butterflu4u and Luis!

I really appreciate your help and reasuring me that is is just natural for what I have.
Rhizzo is right, that is exactly the kind I have since it says so on the tag.

So good to see you and help me. I consider it a priviledge and always take something away from you

Many Thanks!

I am posting a picture tomorrow since I am feeling a bit better..:-)

Mike

Bookmark   January 20, 2011 at 4:30PM
More Discussions
What is eating the camellia leaves?
My friend has a camellia which has lots of beautiful...
jaymo49
Camellia shelter - dropped blooms and damaged buds (cold)
I have a Camellia bed planted under the edge of my...
Bama_Joe
Planning for front yard camellias
I really want to add some camellias to my front yard...
Bama_Joe
Camellia photos
Here's a photo of a bloom from my 'Sweet Jane' hybrid...
vmr423
camillia for porch
the porch is screened with southern exposure and i'd...
zippity1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™