Most informal Fall Bloomers?

oath5(z6b/7a MD)January 27, 2006

Hi, I'm really interested in purchasing a camellia, but I'm looking for one that is hardy enough for my climate, The selection at Camellia Forest Nursury's website is so vast... but I'm looking for one that isn't like one dense column; are there any that have a more informal yet moderately fast growing and tall, and what colors would you reccomend for near our house, which is a light grey-blue.....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Most Camellia sasanqua would fit the bill. A pink one would probably go with your house color.

Bookmark   January 28, 2006 at 4:38AM
oath5(z6b/7a MD)

Oh that would be great, our temps here are very variable, should I worry about them, we're in Baltimore County....I only know that the temperature never truly dips down under 0 degrees, we may get a week or two in single digits but that's about it....should I still worry?

Bookmark   January 28, 2006 at 3:12PM

Are you seeing others growing in the area already? What do garden centers have? Camellia sasanqua cultivars are a staple here.

Bookmark   January 28, 2006 at 6:17PM

Probably one of these would do. Have a look and see if you like any of the pink ones in particular. Photos provided should enable you to visualize the flowers against your wood.

Here is a link that might be useful: The U.S. National Arboretum presents a unique group of cold hardy, fall blooming camellias hybridized specifically for the landscape

Bookmark   January 28, 2006 at 6:30PM
oath5(z6b/7a MD)

I was thinking those would work the best, I think I'm going to order "Frost Princess" it's what we're looking for the most I guess.

Bookmark   January 28, 2006 at 8:41PM

This page has a picture (click to enlarge). How hardy is it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Camelias [sic]

Bookmark   January 28, 2006 at 10:24PM
oath5(z6b/7a MD)

It goes to negative five degrees bellow zero, I think if we put it close to the house it should do fine, thanks for your help! I really like that color, it's a lot different than the others.

Bookmark   January 29, 2006 at 11:39AM
greenguy1(z7 Maryland)

Hi oath5 -

I live in Annapolis.

C. sasanqua 'Jean May' does well for me, a medium shell pink with semi-double flowers, branching is spreading. I also have C. sasanqua 'Setsugekka'(single, white, frilly, very fragrant) and 'Kanjiro' (deep rose pink, single), both have been doing beautifully for the three years I've been in the house and had been there obviously at least several years before.

Stay away from 'Shishi Gashira' (even though it is in the nurseries around our area and is beautiful and seductive), it died over the winter two years in a row for me.

- Steve

Bookmark   January 31, 2006 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
Camellia photos
Here's a photo of a bloom from my 'Sweet Jane' hybrid...
vmr423
Rescuing a giant lollipop camellia?
The house my family moved into last year has an obviously...
nonconformist_nymphette
winter snowman ice angels camellia in Massachusetts
Hi all, I would love to have a camellia in my new yard...
spunky_MA_z6
camellia identity
First off let me introduce and tell you a little bit...
dmichael619
Camellia shelter - dropped blooms and damaged buds (cold)
I have a Camellia bed planted under the edge of my...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™