camelias and freezing temperatures

luvpatch2January 14, 2007

Hi! I'm in Houston and we are getting ready for freezing weather for several days. Do I need to cover my camelia's? Thanks so mcuh!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
longriver(SF Bay Area)

Very timingly question. I am living at SF Bay Area, It supposes nice warmer in the Winter. No! My house is located at middle of hill. I have ice sheet formation in water bucket about 3/8 inch thick. My plants all in pots are all okay.

I do not think you should worry about in Huston. But you should keep your camellia well watered.

Camellia japonica are also found in nature at eastern China region. There are also many millions of camellia grown in pots in their nuseries. The area weather always has some snow and occasional ice formation.

If you have a red camellia in bloom under thick snow fall, you should take a picture for red and white coloration.

Bookmark   January 15, 2007 at 1:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

They do quite well here in Northern Alabama, where the temperatures dip into the low 20s routinely, every winter. Soft flower buds, showing color, would likely get zapped at those temperatures, but they are really much hardier than you think.

Bookmark   January 16, 2007 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
camillia for porch
the porch is screened with southern exposure and i'd...
zippity1
Camelia - Buttons N Bow
Hello - I bought the Button N Bows Camelia. I planted...
robbbyva
Planning for front yard camellias
I really want to add some camellias to my front yard...
Bama_Joe
camellia identity
First off let me introduce and tell you a little bit...
dmichael619
Pink Perfection or Nuccio's Cameo?
I love the color and form of Pink Perfection and Nuccio's...
astphard
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™