Need sanity check on building hedge maze

UltimaFan(4b)January 5, 2013

By "sanity check" I'm thinking of ballpark figures for cost and work.
I live near Ottawa, Ontario. That's 45.25N and according to Agriculture Canada that puts me in zone 4b. At this time I'm thinking of a plot that's 270 sq. meters (or 2900 sqft. or 0.0667 acres). Passages, I suppose, should be a meter wide and hedges would be about half that.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luckynes13(6a)

You could use arborvitae, which gives you a lot of choices. If you are going to invest the time and money, you may want to add some irrigation, Also a distance of 1.5 meter or more would be better.

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 8:34AM
UltimaFan(4b)

Hmm... ok, assuming I don't make the walls any thicker, 1.5 meter passageways would increase the dimensions to 22mx22m or 5200 sqft. I was already expecting that 2900 sqft. would fail a sanity check.

Irrigation, eh? Actually, a previous owner installed a sprinkler system and since we are on a well, both next door neighbours dropped hints about how unneighbourly it would be to use it, when I moved in. However, I *would* love to have a fountain at the centre. Why would irrigation be worthwhile? Do arborvitae need a lot of water?

An important question would also be my options for the pedestrian ways. Is leaving it natural an option or is it necessary to lay something down, like gravel?

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 5:49PM
ianna(Z5b)

you can use a mix of materials to create your hedges. Check out tapestry hedging. I don't think sprinklers are necessary. When you have these plants, it's important that they are capable of handling drought as well as wet weather. Trees that get too reliant on irrigation would produce roots that grow near the ground surface instead of growing deep which is what you hope they would do. Yes, trees do suck up a lot of water and like all trees, they should be able to thrive without a timed sprinkler offering water.

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
Wish there was a local plant coop plant/seed group near
What I mean is a group that could pool cash togther...
krystarz
Plant Nurseries in Canada disappearing?
I had bookmarked years ago something that lists all...
yugoslava
hardy annuals
hey all i live on vancouver island, just wondering...
tomlinson04
Overwintering geraniums from a deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
Is walnut tree mulch ok for paths between raised vegetable garden beds
Just had a stump ground down and am also in the process...
burtman23
Sponsored Products
Bocci | 14.7 Seven Pendant Chandelier
YLighting
Igloo Swivel Microfiber Bar Stool
Overstock.com
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Yosemite Home Decor 52 in. Indoor Brown Ceiling Fan with Li
Home Depot
Cosby Sectional - Cordova Eclipse Gray
Joybird Furniture
Aiden 3-piece Quilt Set
Overstock.com
Red 5050 LED Strip Light 60/m 10mm wide 5m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™