How to care for Bergenia

nickrosesnFebruary 13, 2014

I have inherited my grandparents garden and need some help with the Bergenia. This is the second season for me in the garden. Don't know how old they are, maybe 20/30 years. I don't think a lot was done with them. I'm wanting to turn this area into a part shade Butterfly/hummingbird garden area. I live is San Mateo, CA and once the Sun gets higher in the sky this part of the garden will get late morning/afternoon sun.

1.) How do I divide them, so I can thin/move them around so I can plant other things that will be for the Butterflies/hummingbird?
2.) What plants will do well with Bergenia and be inviting to Butterflies/Hummingbirds.

Nick Rose

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I have dug up an entire clump, shaken off the dirt, broken off pieces with roots and leaves, and replanted.

Abutilons in red, orange or raspberry are hummingbird magnets. They do get tall with time (10 ft.). Very easy to root from a piece, aka Japanese False Maple.
Columbines take the same conditions. Hostas may need more water than bergenias. Coral Bells.

Do NOT plant Phygelis as did I, thinking the large container would prevent it from taking over.

Bookmark   February 15, 2014 at 12:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emmarene

In summertime they need to be cleaned. I pull off all the dead leaves and also rake out the debris. They can handle a lot of neglect.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
Nasturtiums and Cannabis
To avoid Nasturtiums taking over my garden next year...
patmonk
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
Mango trees in SoCal?
Has anyone successfuly grown any type of mango tree...
wetfeet101b
Cassia Leptophylla Leaves All Turned Black
I had four 24" boxed Cassia Leptophylla trees...
SDNativeNovice
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™