Heucheras in zones 1 and 2

milo_z7(7b)January 19, 2007

A friend of mine is working on a display garden for a fair, and she asked me if I knew of any Heuchera cultivars hardy in zones 1 and 2 (or 3a), especially in areas with little snow cover. I don't, so maybe you can help her?

Thanks! :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ianna(Z5b)

I doubt it. One way of knowing if a plant can survive such colder zones is to inspect the leaves. Plants that produce leaves with waxy layers, or some sort of cold protection film on them, and usually (the leaves are rather small) can survive such zones. So think boxwood & evergreens. Perhaps the heuchera can be treated more as an annual in that zone - It would do well in teh summer but by fall and winter, expect it won't survive
Ianna

Bookmark   January 26, 2007 at 4:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

In my experience heuchera is a perennial that is sort of "iffy" in zone 3, at least in my experience. I have a purple leaf one which survived two seasons and then died out, even with fairly good snowcover.

Last year I started some from seed (a type called Dale's Strain) and the seedlings did survive one winter thus far. We'll see about this winter.

Some sources say zone 3 for some heuchera's. I am sure if one used mulch over them for the winter that might increase their survival rate as well.

Glen

Bookmark   January 27, 2007 at 11:34PM
More Discussions
Yacon
I posted this on the wrong side :( so here goes again. Is...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Tayberry plants
Hi fellow garderners, I used to order Tayberry plant...
maskoutain
Overwintering geraniums from a deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
3 week old cedars browning
Had 60' worth of 8-11' white cedars installed 3 weeks...
mensreaj
test
test
Nitefall
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™