Why are my buds not opening?

marcia_oaklandFebruary 11, 2005

I have several japonicas that we put in a couple of years ago. During the first two seasons they did well, but this time around they have buds which don't seem to be opening. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PeaBee4(9a)

could be a combination of difference in ground moisture, temperature, etc. A lot of mine have been very slow opening this year. It happens from time to time. Have patience. As long as the buds are still on the bush and green. They will open. Nothing's wrong, they are just taking Nature's Time.
PB

Bookmark   February 11, 2005 at 10:45AM
gardeniarose(z10FLA)

I have the same exact problem with my gardenia right now. I know a gardenia isn't a camellia but maybe the cause is the same. The buds seem to just keep getting larger but won't open. I guess I shouldn't complain. I almost fell over when I spotted the buds almost TWO MONTHS ago! Patience, you said??? LOL!

Bookmark   February 11, 2005 at 6:55PM
Carrie70(Z8, Louisiana)

One Bush is three years old. When I bought it had lots of buds and they opened. Last year a few opened. This year none. The other bush, I just planted last year, way across the yard from the other. It is loaded with buds that don't open.

Bookmark   February 13, 2005 at 6:21PM
More Discussions
1800's or earlier camellia catalogues and other materials.
1800's or earlier camellia catalogues and other materials. Hello,...
florence_2007
Problem with leaves
Camellia Japonica - Just received this plant as a gift...
mimichatte
Camellia Sinensis Dying - Please Help!
Around the beginning of the year, I received a camellia...
goldenjoe
Camellia Ashley Eden?
Hello. I just succumbed to a little plant covered with...
rosie
Where can I find Professor C. Sargent?
Basically, I've fallen in love with the look of this...
oberci
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™