Butterfly Bush

freedombelle2001(5)July 18, 2014

At my previous home we had a Butterfly Bush loaded with butterflies. It died due to a dry winter. At our new home we planed a Black Knight butterfly bush, it is growing fast, healthy and blooming, I have only seen a Hawk Moth visit it, butterflies in the yard ignore it. Any thoughts? I Googled why it would not attract butterflies and came up empty. It has been in our yard about 2 months now.
Linda Hagelstien. Omaha, N.E

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bernergrrl(z5 IL)

It might be that something else has their attention. Maybe it's not producing enough nectar for them, or they are preferring something else. Do you have a lot of other flowering plants?

In NH, I remember one year Common Boneset was all the rage (it was always covered with pollinators of all kinds), and then very little attention given the next year.

I also had a butterfly bush there too, and lots of other nectar plants, and popularity was even, or more slanted toward plants like coneflowers, milkweeds, goldenrods, zinnias, Mexican Sunflowers.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 1:02PM
freedombelle2001(5)

I have lots of flowers, roses, moss roses, holly hocks, geraniums, and numerous others. At least the Hawk Moth loves the butterfly Bush. And at least it is pretty and smells great. Linda Hagelstien

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 1:16PM
zensojourner

Linda, I would suggest that at your last residence, there were established breeding sites nearby for species that prefer feeding on a butterfly bush. Perhaps that is not the case where you are living now. Consider planting some appropriate plants where the butterflies in your area (that prefer or are attracted to buddleia) can lay eggs and build their cocoons, and feeder plants for the larvae. Also provide a mineral puddler for water and minerals. I'll bet that in a few seasons you will be back to butterfly-covered bushes.

This post was edited by zensojourner on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 13:30

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 1:28PM
bernergrrl(z5 IL)

I think Butterfly Bush probably really gets its reputation because it's so widely available at nurseries that have historically not always had the most appropriate nectar plants available to butterflies. But who knows, another yard, another year, the butterflies will prove me wrong.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 6:43PM
freedombelle2001(5)

All I had to do was post the question here, and lo and behold I see 2 butterflies today on the bush! Thanks for your replies, I appreciate every single one of them.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 12:47PM
More Discussions
Is everyone ready for upcoming SPRING????
I am in Florida. I already made a flower bed inside...
angelimperfect36
Looking for a source of beautiful, realistic fake butterflies
I am helping a friend decorate her baby nursery. I...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Ordered seeds.
I ordered some seeds today and was wondering how I...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™