Mutation?

fairfield8619(Zone 8 NW LA)February 15, 2013

I layered this from an old plant on an vacant lot- the bush has two different colors. The first is the layered one and the second is from the other half of the bush- is this a mutation or is it just enviromental? Actually one half was all pink and the other was the white striped that you see. The layered one seems to be in between. This is from a single plant- I checked just to be sure. It doesn't seem to be from the understock either. I really liked the striped one better though.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

A sport is the common term. Many similar camellias (Eleanor McCown is the name of the one I had) have this behaviour. My EM had a branch where the flowers were all slightly different. Most were all pink (no splatches), others were like yours and so forth. My pooches destroyed the plant chasing squirrells so I did not get to enjoy the plant more than 2 years.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 7:55PM
restoner(6B-7A)

It might also be a graft chimera.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia - graft chimera

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 1:40PM
fairfield8619(Zone 8 NW LA)

So I guess it could turn out to be almost anything? This will be an interesting story!

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 2:46PM
Edymnion(7a)

I can tell you a story to muddy the waters even further.

At a house we used to live in, the front yard by the street was lined with... blast it, I can't remember the name of them to save me now. Woody tree/shrubs, big purple flowers on them, commonly used in the South as a decorative/landscaping plant. Oh well, exact name isn't important. Whats important was that the front of the yard was lined with these things, and they were deep purple.

Then one day a speeder crashed his car into our yard, mowed right over one of those trees. It was bent over, broken, we expected it to die. It didn't, but to this day it blooms *WHITE*.

We joke that the car knocked all the purple clean off that thing.

So yeah, mechanical/environmental damage most certainly can change the color of the flowers.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 7:10PM
fairfield8619(Zone 8 NW LA)

Maybe an althea/rose of sharon? Interesting comment. I have one similiar. When I was young we had a black dog that got really sick and they gave her all kinds of injections in her side. All the hair fell out at the injection site and when it grew back it was white and always stayed white. Trauma is not good it seems.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 12:44AM
Sukhoi

Could be Carter's Sunburst. It sports white pink and blush striped on same bush many times. I have one w all 3 colors every year.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 3:25AM
More Discussions
Problem with leaves
Camellia Japonica - Just received this plant as a gift...
mimichatte
Planning for front yard camellias
I really want to add some camellias to my front yard...
Bama_Joe
Camellia sinensis in zone 10
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice...
borgf15
What is eating the camellia leaves?
My friend has a camellia which has lots of beautiful...
jaymo49
camellia identity
First off let me introduce and tell you a little bit...
dmichael619
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™