Sfbay: what veggies and flowers

GWlolo(9b/ Sunset 15)February 20, 2013

We moved from east bay to peninsula area. I am getting the gardening twitch and want to see what veggies do well here. I also have a nice mound where I want to grow cut flowers. Any tips?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jkom51(Z9 CA/Sunset 17)

Peninsula = cooler Burlingame or hotter San Jose? EBay = windy temperate Berkeley or colder/hotter Livermore?

We actually don't need specifics, just generalities. My Oakland Hills microclimate is a little frostier in winter than my friends in Burlingame, but summer temps are similar. Whereas if I lived in Concord and was moving to Pacifica, that's a major change!

It's not hard to grow David Austin roses in San Jose, for example, but it's a bit of a challenge in Daly City. Zucchinis grow anywhere but pumpkins and melons will prefer further south whereas lettuce and spinach are going to like being closer to the coast or SF.

How close you are to the fog belt will determine ambient soil temps, which is often more important than amount of direct or partial sunlight.

Personally it's always annoyed me that Sunset insists upon labeling such a large area as Zone 17, because there are considerable differences from one end to another.....okay, rant over.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
Cassia Leptophylla Leaves All Turned Black
I had four 24" boxed Cassia Leptophylla trees...
SDNativeNovice
Echium wildpretii. "Tower of jewels"
Anyone have experience with these? I planted seeds....
llilibel03
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
You can look up your water company on this site
Here's an interesting site where you can look up your...
socks
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™