Camelia's Buds fall off

Carrie70(Z8, Louisiana)February 10, 2005

I have two camelia bushes that look healthy. They both have been loaded with buds. The buds never opened, they just drop off the bush. What causes this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
forrestal(Gulf Coast z8b)

Well that brings up a pretty common mystery, for which there is no pat answer and nobody can ever fully explain. You are not alone. The most common speculation is either too much or too little water, or some of the trace elements are out of range. You might try a soil test. Has this happened before? Some varieties are more prone to do that. I had a couple that bullnosed every year, and they were small enough to move, so I put them elsewhere and they are better. Another is about 50 years old (almost impossible to move) and never opens its buds, and I have about decided to give up and graft something else on it. If it has never happened in previous years, it may be climatic, but otherwise you may need to do some investigation.

Bookmark   February 13, 2005 at 5:30PM
forrestal(Gulf Coast z8b)

You can read a good discussion thread on this subject, with more suggestions as to cause and cure on the American Camellia Society bulletin board, see link below. Click on the Bulletin Board and find the thread, "Anyone have a cure for bullnosing."

Here is a link that might be useful: American Camellia Society

Bookmark   February 14, 2005 at 12:32AM
deeds1(the far SWUK-9)

I don't know if this will help, or even apply to you. Here in the UK this can be a problem in some areas. It is caused when there are overnight frosts, and if the camellia is in a spot where it gets the early morning sun, the conbination of frosted buds warming quickly can cause them to fall. I'm lucky we rarely if ever get frost and camellias are very cheap to buy here 3' ones from as little as $2.

Bookmark   February 16, 2005 at 8:44PM
More Discussions
camillia for porch
the porch is screened with southern exposure and i'd...
zippity1
Camellia shelter - dropped blooms and damaged buds (cold)
I have a Camellia bed planted under the edge of my...
Bama_Joe
Camellia Ashley Eden?
Hello. I just succumbed to a little plant covered with...
rosie
How much is took much? (Leaves from oaks falling on Japonicas)
Hey folks! This is my first Camellia bed and they are...
Bama_Joe
Help with Camellias
I have purchased 2 camellia plants in the middle of...
Camellia2000
Sponsored Products
TRIBECCA HOME Camelia Graceful Scroll Bronze Iron Queen-sized Sleigh Bed
Overstock.com
TRIBECCA HOME Camelia Graceful Scroll Bronze Iron Full-sized Sleigh Bed
Overstock.com
Camelia Antique Silver One-Light Chandelier with Beads
$800.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™