Privacy Hedge- tall order

melinlaMarch 21, 2010

Hi all,

I think I may have a tall order to fill with our needs in a privacy hedge... I need help!

Need hedge to be about 15-20 feet minimum to block out neighbors and phone pole/lines. (nixes Privet)

Because it'll be next to a fence and our yard isn't large, taller is better than wider. (Leyland Cypress and Willow Hybrid may get too wide- 3' wide or less is what I am hoping for)

Can't have berries or drop extensive leaves since it'll be near a pool. (nixes American Holly)

Also since it'll be near a pool, the root system can't be incredibly invasive or wide spread.

I had originally been thinking about non-spreading bamboo, but we have a mosquito problem already. I've read that bamboo are especially kind to mosquitoes' breeding.

And did I mention that we are in zone 9 (LA) with heavy clay soil?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I have grown Rhus integrifolia to make a screen of that size. As it is a native it does quite well for us without summer water, once established. You will need to do some pruning to keep as narrow as you desire, but it will tolerate it well. No surface rooting has been noticed, possibly because with no summer water, it develops a deeper root system. Soil here is heavy clay. Excess litter has not been noticed, and no pest problems. Al

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 8:36AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Just 3' wide and 15-20' tall. Whew. 'Swanes Golden' Italian Cypress (smaller than the species). 'Skyrocket' Juniper.

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 2:26PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Bamboo. I have not noticed any increase in mosquito populations from bamboo. How would the mosquitos breed without standing water?
Renee

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 6:15PM
queerbychoice(USDA 9a/Sunset 8 (CA))

Don't do Leland cypress. Even if they don't get too wide, they tend to fall over during winter storms. Especially in heavy clay. When I was a kid, my parents lost half a dozen of them during windstorms.

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 11:26PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Clumping bamboos will certainly work, and won't be a problem with mosquitoes; but all bamboos are constantly dropping leaves, so aren't all that clean. Podocarpus gracilior is one to consider, but when mature it does have fruit. An espaliered hedge of Magnolia grandiflora 'Little Gem' or 'St. Mary' is also a good choice. Although this one has litter, the larger sized leaves and petals are actually easier to scoop out of a pool than smaller leaves. Does your pool have an automatic pool cover? Something to consider adding if it is a simple rectangle, and will broaden your choices. You might also consider adding a wire mesh fence to the height you need, and growing a fast growing/densely evergreen vine such as Ficus repens, Tecomaria capensis or another espaliered shrub such as Grewia capensis.

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 12:03PM
sautesmom

Although originally I also thought a fence with climbers would be nice, better check your zoning, because very few cities allow any type of fence/fencing over 6 feet high.

Carla in Sac

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 5:01PM
dee68

How about a Yaupon? "Will Fleming" comes to mind; this worked for me.

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 8:44PM
melinla

Thank you! Great suggestions!

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
Shrubs for zone 9b (Riverside)
What shrubs have these attributes: Evergreen Height:...
Gary
Has anyone tried gooseberries and currants?
I love fruiting plants so much but being in the Bay...
tog5632
trees wont grow
i bought these crepe myrtle trees about 4 years ago.i...
Carlos Hernandez
Privacy Trees?
Good afternoon, I'm hoping to find a recommendation...
sirwoodland
Pride of Madeira PRUNING and question
Hi, Hope you can help. The net and Sunset's Garden...
piper101
Sponsored Products
Ribbon Red Circle Rings Giclee Glow Plug-In Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus
Humble Gold Circle Rings Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Scroll Tall Fruit Tree
$14.99 | zulily
Hoppi Bronze One-Light Halogen Wall Sconce with Mocha Glass
$162.00 | Bellacor
Tranquility Floral Arrangement
$349.00 | FRONTGATE