Can anyone tell me what plant this is?

rfkavanaghMarch 11, 2013

And how/how difficult it is to get rid of?!

I just did a walk-through on my "almost-mine" home, and this has suddenly exploded pretty invasively around the property. I'm particularly worried about how it's growing up behind the fascia on the front of the property and sprouting out half way up the wall...

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rfkavanagh

Closer view (1/3)

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 12:37AM
rfkavanagh

Closer view (2/3)

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 12:38AM
rfkavanagh

Wider view (3/3)

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 12:39AM
wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)

Looks like tradescantia pallida....

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 1:15AM
ocwormgirl

I believe it is Tradescantia pallida. If so terribly invasive.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 2:39AM
onederw

OCwormgirl is correct. Tradescantia pallida, aka setcreasea pallida, or setcreasea purpurea, is a hardy, vigorous groundcover where you want it. It has recently become increasingly common in drought-tolerant plantings in highway median strips. Unfortunately, it is also a hardy, vigorous groundcover where you don't want it. And it has a mind of its own as to where it spreads.
Since your "almost mine" home in not yet fully yours, I would certainly have your real estate agent take up the matter with the sellers. It is likely that you can compel them to eradicate this plant before closing, the same as if it were termites or vermin. Don't let anyone tell you it's no big deal. (Remember that the sellers, their agent, and even your agent have every reason--$$-to downplay this.) The fact that it is at your foundation is especially concerning. Good luck.

Kay

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 9:07AM
rfkavanagh

Thanks for the feedback - unfortunately, I'm already 100% committed to the property (I take possession this week and all contingencies have been lifted). Hoping I can get in under the house right away and do everything I can to eradicate it from the foundation area, but I've read many horror stories in the last few hours.

If anyone has any suggestions for how best to attack it, I'm all ears... The sad thing is that it's a beautiful plant that would look great in the back yard!

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 2:17PM
onederw

You can try the Dandelion Treatment: fill a spray bottle with white vinegar and give each sprout a strong squirt, more than once if necessary. (Some people boil the white vinegar down a bit to concentrate it more, and use it while it's still hot.) If you do, use caution (aka gloves), because the vinegar can be a lot more acidic that way.

Vinegar is probably the most environmentally benign way to try to get rid of it. Hopefully it will both kill the top and make the roots shrivel. That said, I must confess I haven't tried to eradicate this particular plant that way.

Kay

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 5:38PM
rfkavanagh

Thanks - it's worth a shot! Vinegar's an easy approach for a novice like myself to take, and I'd rather not have to go to drastic extremes that would compromise the soil or other plants.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 8:15PM
CA Kate

While I'd normally go with the vinegar, this time I'd go with RoundUp, especially around the foundation and stone walls, because this will also kill the roots and not just the tops.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 2:51PM
aquilachrysaetos

Stuff won't grow for me. When I plant it, it lasts for a couple seasons then dies out. I think it gets too hot here and I'm not very good about watering consistently. The occasional deep watering I give my trees and shrubs isn't enough for it.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 9:28PM
evilscott(USDA=10, Sunset=24)

Try "horticultural vinegar" available on Amazon.

If no joy with that, I'd go with glyphosate.

Here is a link that might be useful: on amazon

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 1:23AM
onederw

Horticultural vinegar. . . who knew?
Thanks, evilscott, for linking to a product I had no idea existed. And of course, now that I know about it, I have to add it to the anti-weed arsenal. The vinegun (what my DH calls the spray bottle I fill with vinegar to use on dandelions--and indeed on anything that has the audacity to try growing between the pavers in the driveway) will be filled with high-test from now on!

Kay

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 8:07AM
More Discussions
Please Help Save the Monarch Butterflies
I posted this info to the Butterfly Garden Forum, but...
Evelyn256
Preventing Mildew on Pole Beans (Menlo Park)
I'm a fan of a purple pole bean variety called Trionfo...
Mahonia [Sunset Zone 15, USDA 8B]
Sparrows
Photo of a nest of sparrows under my porch. There are...
tim45z10
My moonflowers won't bloom!
Hi. I'm Laura and I'm pretty new to gardening but I...
Laura Casconi
LADWP turf removal rebate
Hello! My partner and I bought our house in March....
yourmomsart
Sponsored Products
Red Carpet Studios Natures Jewels Chimes - 10203
$29.99 | Hayneedle
International Caravan Valencia 4-tier 12-inch Wide Plant Shelf
Overstock.com
D and W Silks Philo Ivy in Metal Ledge Planter - 104008
$32.99 | Hayneedle
Tulip Chair in Red
$144.99 | Dot & Bo
Pixel Plant Shower Curtain
$79.99 | Dot & Bo